Where do you get your news from?

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Television? News-radio? Newspapers? Internet?

Personally, I get most of my news from television or news-radio, but once and a while a newspaper or internet.

When I am getting my news from television, I tune in to:
Image WGBA-TV NBC 26 (local/state) or
Image Fox News Channel (national/world).

When I am getting my news from the radio I tune in to:
Image Newsradio 1360 WTAQ
Onward and Upward...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hi Trevor,

I am also addicted to news. Starting with the radio (RTBF La Première) in the bathroom when I take my shower, to Euro News on TV with my breakfast, followed by the teletext on VRT, to a newspaper to read in the bus, to the television news in the evening (RTBF La Une or RTL-TVI).

In addition I am getting the Google alerts by e-mail on a series of topics.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Google alerts and some insiders :rock:
Aum Sweet Aum.

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

TV: Canvas 8pm news (sometimes tv1 at 7pm), sometimes Kanaal Z (business news)
Newspaper: De Standaard and De Tijd

weekly magazines: Knack (belgian) and Times (US)

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Internet - BBC (national/local), Scunthorpe Telegraph Website (Local), Yorkshire Post Website (Regional)

Paper - Daily Mail (national), Scunthorpe Telegraph (Local), Yorkshire Post (Occasionally)

TV - BBC, Channel 4, Five

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Addicted to news aswell:

On a weekly basis, I receive by post Businessweek and the Economist. That already takes me about a week to read!

On internet, Google news, the Mirror and yeah the Sun

Otherwise, watch the news on France 2 on a regular basis, and when I can the BBC1 6 O'clock news.

Finally, I buy the odd paper whenever there is a topic that interest me:

- Wish I had the time to read the sunday-times every week, but unfortunately only buy it once every month now, whereas I bought it every week when I was in the UK.
- Le monde, nouvel observateur, newsweek...

Oh and you might ask what about Belgian news?

Poor quality I find so once in a while la libre, RTBF. Wish I had more motivation to watch dutch speaking news it's far far better quality wise!

Ok that's it :) Can anyone beat me?

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Thanks for all of the replies!
Humberside wrote:TV - BBC, Channel 4, Five
I was wondering, does the UK have any other television networks than BBC? Also, can any of the American TV networks (NBC, Fox, ABC, or CBS) be found in parts of europe?

BTW: We have BBC on cable over here and some of the shows are quite good. I like that show "Bargain Hunt".
Onward and Upward...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

nwa757 wrote:Also, can any of the American TV networks (NBC, Fox, ABC, or CBS) be found in parts of Europe?
Sorry to disappoint you. The only American TV with wide coverage in Europe is CNN. You can also sometimes find MSNBC and Bloomberg.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

nwa757 wrote:
Humberside wrote:TV - BBC, Channel 4, Five
I was wondering, does the UK have any other television networks than BBC?
On terrestrial TV (free to view) there is ITV, Channel 4 and Five
When you include pay to view TV (eg Satellite, Cable) there are many Channels, the main one is Sky (owned by Rupert Murdoch)

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

A typical college student answer would be the Daily Show with Jon Stewart..... :lol: :lol:

Really though, CNN + MSNBC on TV, for web I use Yahoo News as it combines many different sources which I like getting the different perspectives. :D
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

I get mine from a real variety of places-internet, radio, tv, newspapers!

chunk

Post by chunk »

Knight255 wrote:A typical college student answer would be the Daily Show with Jon Stewart..... :lol: :lol:

Really though, CNN + MSNBC on TV, for web I use Yahoo News as it combines many different sources which I like getting the different perspectives. :D
They have just started to show 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' here on a new channel called More 4. That is one funny show....don;t see much American satire here. Or in the US from what I recall.

I have generally stopped watching news programmes as they have become almost too tabloid like. Even the good ole BBC has started coming out with sensationalist shi*te that scares the uninformed and enrages people that are informed due to its innaccuracy (e.g Bird Flu stories....where have they all gone then?) . That said, I have the choice between:
BBC (probably still the most reliable)
ITV (no,no,no - dreadful - the epitomy of the trash tv news channel),
CNN International (not bad - not great - more informative on world events than CNN in the US or Headline news),
MSNBC (erm...not sure....seems ok from what I have seen),
EuroNews (not bad - too the point usually),
C4 News (usually pretty good),
SkyNews (OK but a bit too tabloidy....trashy)
Bloomburg (never lasted more than 2 minutes 'cos frankly they were boring)
Al-Jazeera (Erm....my Arabic isn't too hot so this isn;t on much...)
Fox News (Genius. Is TV news about death and destruction supposed to be this amusing....oh wait....they aren't joking??)
There are another few in German and French that there is little point tuning into given my language skills.

Satellite TV has a lot to answer for.

VC10

Post by VC10 »

chunk wrote:
Al-Jazeera (Erm....my Arabic isn't too hot so this isn;t on much...)
Al-Jazeera is grotesque, (or at least the clips I've seen are). I don't know what else they put out, but the sight of those innocent hostages with their thugs of captors turns my stomach. How the Hell can you watch such a channel?!!!
As for the BBC, they are something akin to the KGB. Their programmes generally are crass, and their so-called news programmes are pure bias (why for example shouldn't the scum who bombed London in July be called "terrorists" why does the BBC bend over backwards for these savages?) The BBC are, almost without exception, anti-British liars who are too fond of pandering to the PC brigade!!!!!
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

chunk

Post by chunk »

Erm right. The Anti BBC brigade has landed.

The reason it is the largest news gathering news network in the world (FACT) is because it does generally (it slips at times - I'll admit, but find me a news source that doesn't)) give a balanced and accurate view of what is going on in the world.

What are you watching? I have not seen one article on the BBC about the London bombings that didn;t refer to them as anything other than terrorist attacks. If they did - what exactly did they call them? I look forward to your answer. It seems that large portions of the UK are going down the 'I don't like what I hear therefore it is wrong' route. Dangerous stuff. Before long we will all be reading tabloids like the Daily Mail, Express and Sun and just towing whichever line we are told to. No thanks.

As for Al-Jazeera - unless you speak a bit of Arabic then you can't coment on its content. And if you do speak Arabic then fair enough - you have your reasons. Just remember that the clips you have seen of barbarism (which it is) were replayed on whatever news network you watch, which is how you saw it I assume? So who is wrong here? Them for showing it or western news for regurgitating the same pictures? Who is ratings grabbing here? Just so happens that different cultures have different tolerance levels on what they find acceptable imagery. The chinese do, the indians do, the arabs do, westerners do. I'll watch it on occasion because I work in the Middle East a lot and getting their perspective on the goings on there can be helpful believe it or not.

OK - rant over.

VC10

Post by VC10 »

The BBC I understand, were under instructions to refer to the terrorists as "bombers" and not "terrorists" for reasons best known to themselves, presumably so that they didn't offend the Muslim community by branding some of their number with the term most befitting, i.e. "Terrorist".
No, Chunk, I do not speak Arabic. The clips shown by Western channels depicting the plight of the hostages are sick, and I do not think they should be shown, but when they are suddenly thrust into your face as it were, you don't even have time to cross the room to switch off the TV. I still do not understand the justification of any TV channel showing such images though.
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

regi

Post by regi »

The website of Al Jazeera is english spoken.

chunk

Post by chunk »

[quote="VC10"]The BBC I understand, were under instructions to refer to the terrorists as "bombers" and not "terrorists" for reasons best known to themselves, presumably so that they didn't offend the Muslim community by branding some of their number with the term most befitting, i.e. "Terrorist"quote]

Talk about splitting hairs. "Presumably so they didn;t offend the muslim community???" You are having a laugh right. Does that mean they didn;t mind offending the Irish community when they referred to the IRA as terrorists? The bombers did bombing...not hard to see the link.

Then again when your signature contains praise for Britains main fascist party then what can you expect.......

Comet

Post by Comet »

The Voice of Freedom :lol:

Best newspaper in the country. (And I contribute reports and photos to it :mrgreen:)

The Voice of Freedom is known as Freedom or VoF for short.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

abishay

Post by abishay »

I don't like news anymore