Best airport to spot during a holiday ?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Fabke

Best airport to spot during a holiday ?

Post by Fabke »

Hi all,
Next year in the summer I would like to go on a holiday in Spain or Greece where it's possible to spot some days 8) , can somebody give me info about which airport is best to spot when on a holiday , I mean an airport close to your hotel or better close to the beach so that my family can enjoy the beach and in the meanwhile I can spot planes :wink: , all suggestions/info are very welcome , if you could give me hotel names in Spain/Greece which gives you a view on landing/taking off airplanes it would even be better thanks :D
Regards,
Fabke
www.airshows.be

ILS25L

Post by ILS25L »

Goodmorning,
Robin,
I think Corfu would be a fantastic place to spot and to enjoy good weather.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/652533/L/
Behind the plane you see a Hotel which is the famous Hotel Royal where you can stay and spot planes from the balcony near the swimming pool.
Enjoy !
Greetz, Karl

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Fabke,

Hotel Beatriz Playa in Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote, is also a fantastic hotel for spotting all what is landing in ACE (Arrecife, Lanzarote). It has been mentioned several times in this forum.

Larger image
André
ex Sabena #26567

dens

Post by dens »

Hello, A very nice place to sport is Lanzarote. Try to find an hotel in Puerto del Carmen.
I stayed there some years ago and it was very nice. You walk along the sea and you reach the runway. The airport is very busy in summer and I saw a lot of different aircraft type... from ATR 42 (Binter) to MD11 (Martinair).

As Puerto del Carmen is a big ressort, try to find an hotel not too far away from the airport, Beatriz Playa is very nice... but you will find cheaper hotel not far away.

Best regards

Dens

Jense

Post by Jense »

As mentioned 2 times before, ACE is the place to be.
Went there several times and it IS a beautiful island, with a great airport in good atmosphere and a fascinating landscape.

Puerto del Carmen is indeed nearest 'holiday-resort' to the airport, but also very busy with a lot of pubs, restaurants, ... A lot of English people prefer this place for their holidays.

If you want calmer places, you'll need to head to the North-east or to the South.
In the South there is Playa Blanca. A nice village with a seaport (haven?), bars, restaurants, ... but much calmer as Puerto del Carmen. Driving to the airport with a car takes about 30-40 minutes. j

About the airport itselves:
Runways: 03 (equiped with ILS) (most used for both take-off and landing) and 21 (VOR). The beach under the approach of 03 is as a second SXM; very close to the action.
Facilities: clean terminal with 5 jetways. Easy-to-find-your-way airport.
Situation: central in Lanzarote, near by the capital of Arrecife.

Hope this helps a little bit...

(There are several flight-reports in the 'Airline-experiences'-forum)

greettzzz

Comet

Post by Comet »

Be careful spotting in Greece, it is not unknown for plane spotters to be thrown in jail. Even when they have permission to photograph they have been jailed.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

mstaviation

Post by mstaviation »

Hi Folks,

Ive been in Corfu this Summer.... it`s a realy paradise... and no troubels with police....lucky! :D

Via this URL you can see my pictures taken at CFU..

visit pictures
Best regards,

http://www.mst-aviation.nl (Maastricht - Luik - Geilenkirchen )

Fabke

Post by Fabke »

mstaviation wrote:Hi Folks,

Ive been in Corfu this Summer.... it`s a realy paradise... and no troubels with police....lucky! :D

Via this URL you can see my pictures taken at CFU..
Amazing photos you have there :D , I really enjoyed watching your photos from Corfu and those from Amsterdam , Maastricht , ...

After all I heard here I think it will be Corfu or Mallorca , anyway , continue telling me all your holiday "spotter" experiences :wink:
Regards,
Fabke
www.airshows.be

Airborne

Post by Airborne »

Fabke,

I visited CFU a few years ago and I must say it is a paradise for spotters.

Beach Holidays and Airplane Spotting - In Corfu, You Can Do Both At the Same Time
Check this PDF and you'll believe me!
Comet wrote:Be careful spotting in Greece, it is not unknown for plane spotters to be thrown in jail. Even when they have permission to photograph they have been jailed.
It depends. I've never had any troubles with the police ... BUT you must be careful with military airports.

Greetzzz,
Kristof :wink:

levent

Post by levent »

PMI is a good airport to spot around the field, while MAD is nice from inside the terminal. No beaches in Madrid though... you could make a trip from Palma, couldn´t you?

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Well the PDf is pretty old, they still talk about the old athens airport and constellation, but it still gives a nice impression of Corfu indeed!

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

I've been to Mallorca once, and the best hotels are those in the city of C'an Pastilla. There are a few hotels from where you can spot from your terrace (with a binocular) Hotel Leo, Hotel Helios. I've been to Hotel Helios a very nice three star hotel, there's even a Belgian working there, he lives now in Mallorca for years. Ask for rooms at the back from the 3th floor or higher. The beach is about 300m from those hotels, and you're able to spot aircraft taking off into the sea or landing from the sea (don't know rwy headings exactly). If you take a walk into the town you can reach a place where the aircrafts fly over on short final (landings from sea). The hotels I mentioned can be found in the catalogues of Neckermann and Jetair.

Visiting PMI you'll never regret it !

PS\ on my flight to PMI on an A320 (G-CVYG) the Captain was Mr. Guy Daems (Luchtzak member Cookiemonster)

Regards
Raymond

yak18t

Post by yak18t »

Fabke ,
ACE , Lanzarote is the best . Hotel Beatriz , rooms 3032-3028 or 2020-2028 . In the morning when rwy 04 is in use , you can standing with your feet in the sea taking pictures of the landing aircraft . In the afternoon just go the the other side , from where eyou als can take photo's of the aircraft taxiing to the treshhold.
These places are abou 300 à 400 meters from the hotel . When the lady is at the pool , you can go spotting " à volonté ".

Thursday wil give about 52 Brits , saturday Germans and vikings. Sunday is quiet.

Beautiful place

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Hi Fabke,

I never was in Spain, but saw already much interesting pics from

:arrow: Barcelona (lots of Russians during the summer season)
:arrow: Alicante (lots of British charter airlines)

Both airports offer nice spots near the runways/taxiways.

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Fabke

Post by Fabke »

Thanks guys , you're all very kind , I'm already sure my holiday will be at Mallorca , Corfu or Lanzarote :wink:
Regards,
Fabke
www.airshows.be

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Maybe still interesting... found this about Barcelona :

Barcelona is a very interesting airport to visit because of one thing, the massive number of Russian aircraft visiting the airport on Saturdays in the summerseason. It is not uncommon to see up to 15 Russian airlines at the airport on a Saturday during daylight. In the evening there are about 5 more flights, some of them the same aircraft as in the morning. For summer 2002 allmost all the Russian aircraft arrived between 07:00 and 13:00. After that it becomes quiet till about 19:00.
In Summer 2004 on a Saturday in June the following Russian could be seen:

EI-DBG 767 Transaero
EI-CXZ 767 Transaero
N101VN 737 Transaero
EI-CZD 767 Transaero
RA-85629 154 State Transport Company of Russia
EI-GBA 767 Krasair
RA-85185 154 Polkovo
RA-85663 154 Aeroflot (n/c)
EW-85748 154 Belavia
RA-85696 154 Continental Airways
RA-85760 154 Continental Airways
RA-85846 154 Bashkir Airlines
RA-85779 154 Pulkovo
RA-85746 154 KMV
RA-85704 154 Krasair

Regards, Robin Bamps.

ILS25L

Post by ILS25L »

Fabke,
I can confirm the BCN-report.
I was there myself in August 2004 and especially on Saturdays, you see a lot of Russian airplanes. The amount is less than in 2000 when I went the 1st time but that is also due to the noise-restrictions for IL86's and TU134's.
The problem is that you need a car or you need to take a taxi to the place to be.
Greetz, Karl

mstaviation

Post by mstaviation »

Thanks Fabke for your nice words.....
Best regards,

http://www.mst-aviation.nl (Maastricht - Luik - Geilenkirchen )