Spotting at Ramstein

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

KriVa

Spotting at Ramstein

Post by KriVa »

Within a few weeks, I'll be going to Ramstein AFB, and I was wondering if anyone has some hints about spotting there?
I know about hotel Atlantis already, but since they don't have a double room with a view on the airport, that's kind of a no go for me.
I'll be traveling with my girlfriend, so a double room is really a must.
Our hotel has been booked, but I'm wondering about decent photo locations over there?
Are there any special places we should cover? The main reason for us to be there is for the pictures, not really to jot down every single registration we see.

Has anyone been there already, and what were your experiences?

I'll be using a Nikon D700 with a 500mm f/4 and probably a D70s with a 70-200 or a wide-angle lens, so reaching out isn't really a problem ;)
Thomas

Propwash

Re: Spotting at Ramstein

Post by Propwash »

KriVa wrote:Our hotel has been booked, but I'm wondering about decent photo locations over there?
Are there any special places we should cover? The main reason for us to be there is for the pictures, not really to jot down every single registration we see.

Has anyone been there already, and what were your experiences?

I'll be using a Nikon D700 with a 500mm f/4 and probably a D70s with a 70-200 or a wide-angle lens, so reaching out isn't really a problem ;)
Ramstein spotter directions (scramble.nl)

Have fun ;)

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Yeah, I already read those, and just about anything I could find on the scramble community pages.
But still, that ain't that much.... I'm looking for actual experiences by people who've already been there.
Thomas

GoldenEagle

Post by GoldenEagle »

KriVa wrote:Yeah, I already read those, and just about anything I could find on the scramble community pages.
But still, that ain't that much.... I'm looking for actual experiences by people who've already been there.
Well, tell my what you want to know, been there 3 times. ;)

Greetings, Jos

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Do you think a 500mm lens on a full frame sensor is too much?
Also, did you take a scanner there? I heard a lot of contradictory stuff about German Polizei searching cars for scanners?
Which runway is mainly in use, and is there a parking opportunity close to it?
And, the last thing I can think of now, what do you reckon the best photo-opportunities are?
Thomas