RWY 25R closed due to cycling event in June?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

SilverJET

RWY 25R closed due to cycling event in June?

Post by SilverJET »

I've read somewhere that in June rwy 25R will be closed a few hours due to an Cycling event. There will be helicopters flying around to broadcast this cycling event. It will be closed from around 14h00 untill 18h00.
This looks like a nice spotting day to me if the runway 25L will be used because all traffic will land on it.

Is there anybody who can confirm this... :?: 8)

alfazulu

Post by alfazulu »

hi,

I remember that rwy25R was closed during the Belgium championship cycling in Juni 03 in Vilvoorde.

cheers,

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

On Sunday the 28th of March, the 'Brabantse Pijl' will start in Zaventem. The race will go from Zaventem to Haacht, Leuven,... to end in Alsemberg. Last year winner was Michael Boogerd.
Maybe this race will influence the runways the ATC chooses that day, but i don't think helicopters are necessary in the first part of the race as it isn't broadcasted live from start to finish.

I checked a few cycling calendars, and i have not found an important race in June in the BRU area. The most important race in June is the Belgian Championship and i think it will be somewhere in Limburg :?:

OO-VEX

Jense

Post by Jense »

Normally, the "Brabantse pijl" start in Alsemberg. But this year, it will start at Zaventem.
In the first part of the race, are there 2 helicopters above the "peloton"... But I don't think that RWY25R need to be closed for that...
In 2003 was it an other situation, the cyclists were making tours in Vilvoorde, Zaventem, ....

greettzzz

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

Thanks for your quick replies.

I heard it past week from a collegue of mine, but I couldn't find a source of this information. That's why I asked it here !

Regards !

744rules

Post by 744rules »

Notams about runway closure are only published a few days in advance. Remind us then, so we can check.