Liege Airport is awarded one star for its environmental policy

0
138

The purpose of the LEAN AND GREEN programme, launched in 2008 in the Netherlands, is for businesses to reduce their CO2 emissions – from logistics and transport activity – by 20% in 5 years. If their action plan is considered promising, companies get a LEAN AND GREEN label, and if results follow, they are awarded a star.

Liege Airport received its LEAN AND GREEN label in June 2014, and received a LEAN AND GREEN STAR on 6 February 2018 during the award ceremony for participating companies.

This LEAN AND GREEN star, awarded in the presence of François Bellot, Belgian Minister for Mobility, and Camille Gira, Luxembourg Secretary of State for Sustainable Development and Infrastructures, is in recognition of the years of work undertaken by Liege Airport, to make improvements and investments, with the goal of reducing its energy consumption and thus, CO2 emissions.

Several major projects have played their part in the process of rationalising energy consumption and limiting emissions, especially in the area of renewable energy:

– In October 2015, the installation of a cogeneration unit:
This unit uses natural gas as its primary energy source. It is a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly fuel. From 100% of gas consumed, the cogeneration unit makes it possible to produce 41% electricity, or 3,900 MWh/year, and 52% heat, or 5,500 MWh/year. Cogeneration, therefore, brings a total efficiency saving of 93% providing the most effective use of the primary energy consumed.

– In December 2016, the installation of a trigeneration module:
This involves produced iced water from hot water. This module is used, particularly in the summer months, for the air conditioning system of the terminal. The heat produced by cogeneration is thus made use of to produce cold. This system means it is possible to limit energy consumption throughout the year.

Thanks to these two projects, Liege Airport is able to supply most of its heating and air conditioning needs, and 25% of its electricity needs. But Liege Airport is implementing many other efforts to reduce its environmental footprint:

– Rational use of energy
Rational use of energy has been achieved by the investments made in the lighting and insulation of buildings and other infrastructures (replacing runway lighting with LED, electric vehicles, ‘intelligent’ lighting, automatic shutters, etc.).

Geothermal energy has also played a big role in energy saving. It’s for this reason that the new central building (B50) was designed with a system of geothermic heat pumps allowing heat to be stored in the ground to be used in the winter.

New structures will also incorporate techniques for low energy buildings.

– Production and use of green electricity
Electricity supply from the distribution network is on the basis of “100% green energy” contracts.

In addition to the electricity produced by the cogeneration system, a major photovoltaic system will shortly be installed, completing the energy mix at Liege Airport.

Over and above legal requirements, Liege Airport is always trying to find ways of reducing the environmental impact of its activities.

By joining the LEAN AND GREEN programme in 2013, Liege Airport made an undertaking to adapt its environmental policy constantly in order to strengthen its commitment in the fight against global warming.

Liege Airport, 7 February 2018

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.