Over seven million passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel from January to March 2017. Three strike days in March (10/13/14 March) significantly affected traffic numbers at Berlin’s Schönefeld and Tegel airports. In comparison with the same period last year, air passenger numbers in the first quarter have only risen slightly by four percent. Due to the continued positive development of passenger numbers at Berlin-Schönefeld airport, it was able to overtake Cologne-Bonn airport (2.33 million passengers) with 2.78 million passengers in the first quarter. In this traffic report, you will find the figures for passengers, flight movements and air cargo for March 2017, as well as cumulative figures from the beginning of the year, all compared with this same period last year.
Traffic numbers January to March 2017
- Passengers: From January to March 7,083,748 passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel. This is an increase of four percent compared to this period last year. 2,775,925 passengers took off and landed at Schönefeld, which is 15.9 percent more than the comparison period in 2016. 4,307,823 passengers flew from Tegel, 2.4 percent less than the same time last year.
- Flight movements: The number of flight movements at Schönefeld and Tegel together increased to 63,647 take-offs and landings from January to March 2017, an increase of one percent in comparison to the same period last year. At Schötranefeld the number of flight movements rose to 23,404. That is an increase of 13.1 percent. At Tegel there were 40,243 take-offs and landings, which is 4.9 percent less than the same period last year.
- Air cargo: a total of 11,876 tonnes of air freight were registered from January to March, which means an increase of 16.4 percent compared to last year. At Schönefeld 2,185 tonnes of air cargo was dispatched in the first three months (+21.2 percent) and at Tegel it was 9,691 tonnes (+15.4 percent).
Traffic numbers March 2017
- Passengers: 2,502,465 passengers took off and landed at the Schönefeld und Tegel airports in March 2017. That is deficit of 2.6 percent compared to the same month last year. 964,854 passengers flew from Schönefeld in March (+7.5 percent) and at Tegel there were 1,537,611 passengers (-8.0 percent).
- Flight movements: The number of flight movements at the Schönefeld and Tegel airports decreased in March 2017 to 22,072 take-offs and landings, a 2.6 percent drop in comparison to March 2016. At Schönefeld the number of flight movements rose to 8,152 (+9.9 percent). At Tegel the number of flight movements in March fell to 13,920 (-8.6 percent).
- Air cargo: 4,244 tonnes of air cargo were registered at the Schönefeld and Tegel airports in March 2017, a 20.4 percent increase compared to March 2016. Air cargo at Schönefeld reached 829 tonnes, which is 38.6 percent more than in March 2016. 3,415 tonnes (+16.7 percent) of air cargo were registered at Tegel.
The traffic statistics online: