From January to May 2017 over 13 million passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel. This is the reason for the above-average growth at Berlin airports.
The current traffic report contains the figures for passengers, flight and cargo for May 2017, as well as the cumulative figures since the beginning of the year, both in comparison to the previous year’s period.
Traffic figures January to May 2017
- Passengers: From January to May, 13,116,043 passengers flew from Schönefeld and Tegel. This is an increase of 6.7 % compared to the previous year. At Schönefeld, 5,032,369 passengers passed through, that’s 16.8 % more than in the same period in 2016. A total of 8,083,467 passengers flew from Tegel, representing a 1.3 % increase over the same period in the previous year.
- Flights: The number of flights at Schönefeld and Tegel rose from January to May 2017 to 113,167 departures and arrivals, an increase of 1.4 % compared to the previous year’s period. At Schönefeld the number of flights rose to 40,971. This is an increase of 9.8 %. Tegel saw 72,196 departures and arrivals, which is 2.9 % less than in the previous year’s period.
- Cargo: A total of 21,079 tonnes of cargo was recorded between January and May, representing an increase of 21.4 % in relation to the previous year’s period. At Schönefeld, 3,758 tonnes of cargo were handled in the first five months (+15.6 %), at Tegel the figure was 17,321 tonnes (+22.7 %).
Traffic figures May 2017
- Passengers: In May 2017, 3,109,984 passengers passed through Schönefeld and Tegel airports. This represents an increase of 8.2 % compared to the same month in the previous year. In May 1,114,072 passengers (+13 %) flew from Schönefeld, at Tegel the figure was 1,965,912 passengers (+5.6 %).
- Flights: The number of flights at Schönefeld and Tegel airports rose to 26,122 departures and arrivals in May 2017, representing an increase of 5.2 % over May 2016. At Schönefeld, the number of flights grew to 9.174 (+ 6.5 %). At Tegel, the number of flights rose during May to 16,948 (+4.5 percent).
- Cargo: In May 2017, 46060 tonnes of cargo was recorded at Schönefeld and Tegel airports, that’s an increase of 37.4 % compared to May 2016. Cargo at Schönefeld topped 852 tonnes, 10 % more than in May 2016, whilst at Tegel 4,008 tons (+45 percent) of cargo was recorded.
The traffic statistics are available online at: