August confirms the airline’s growth trajectory
- August posts 11% increase in customers carried compared to the same period last year;
- TAP carried 11.3 million passengers between January and August;
- European routes continue growth with the highest absolute number of passengers carried (+79,000 passengers);
- TAP transports 51% more customers in North America than the previous year;
- Between January and August, TAP carried 35,000 additional customers from North America to Portugal where they stayed for at least one night;
- Recovery of the Brazilian market influenced TAP’s continuous growth in the number of passengers carried on routes to and from Brazil in August, with an 11.2% increase compared to the same month last year.
TAP carried more than 1.7 million passengers in August, 174,000 more than in the same month last year, which is an 11.3% increase and the best August ever for passenger numbers.
Between January and August, the Airline carried more than 11.3 million passengers, an increase of 6.7% compared to the same period in 2018.
The recovery of the Brazilian market influenced the continuous growth in the number of passengers carried on routes of Brazil, which continues to show signs of recovery. After the first quarter with little demand (6.9% fewer passengers carried than the same period last year), August consolidated the trend towards increased demand in this market as seen in the second quarter and in July. In that month, TAP carried 10.9% more than in the same month last year, and in August the difference was an additional 11.2%, which represents growth of 17,000 passengers compared with 2018, for a total of 170,000 customers.
The largest increase as an absolute value was in Europe, with an extra 79,000 passengers carried, an 8.5% increase compared with the corresponding period last year. North America was next with an additional 39,000 passengers, 51.7% growth, with this market posting the highest growth percentage compared with the same period last year. Just between January and August, TAP carried 35,000 additional customers from North America to Portugal, who stayed at least one night in the country.
On flights to and from Africa, TAP carried a total of 134,000 passengers, 17.3% more than last year.
August was the month in which TAP carried most passengers on the Azores and Madeira routes. The Airline carried 165,000 passengers on these routes and to the Autonomous Regions, with an increase of 10%.
The new routes launched by TAP this year contributed an extra 99,000 passengers carried in August. In Europe, the new routes contributed an additional 56,000 passengers, the North Atlantic contributed an additional 29,000 and the Middle East (Tel Aviv) brought 9,000.
After having reported a slight decrease in the number of passengers carried in the first quarter (-0.3% compared with the corresponding period last year), in the second quarter the number of passengers carried grew by 8.9% compared with the same period last year. In July, the increase was 11%. The month of August maintained the same a growth rate. For the year overall, the increase in passengers compared with the same period last year is already more than 700,000.
This confirms the recovery trend as a result of passenger growth observed in the second quarter.