Brussels Airlines has been nominated in 2 categories of the yearly Onboard hospitality awards: “Best Onboard Kids Kit/Service/Catering 2017” and “Catering Innovation of the Year 2017”
Best Onboard Kids Kit/Service/Catering 2017 – Smurfs kids box on Brussels Airlines
- Onboard supplier: IMPS
- Featured onboard: Brussels Airlines
- Description :A new concept Smurfs-branded lunch box which includes a small Smurfs related toy enhancing the onboard experience. The boxes promote the Belgium-made cartoons to a wide audience while strengthening the Belgitude in the airline’s service. Offered in blue or red, they are neatly designed to incorporate both the Brussels Airlines and The Smurfs brands and are given when the “kids’ special meal” is pre-ordered. Over 100 Smurf characters were created by the Belgian comic artist Peyo and graphic studio IMPS (which exploits the rights to Peyo’s work) created new Smurf characters: Captain Smurf and Cabin Crew Smurfette for the lunchboxes, as well as Safari Smurf who travels to Africa.
- Function: The box is a creative and fun way for kids to enjoy their meal on long-haul flights. Not only will kids receive a delicious meal but they also have the time to relax and play with some interesting toys, colour or play cards. The box serves as both an entertainment and food packaging item served to the children directly.
- Passenger Experience: Children are delighted to have an item which changes the usual onboard dining experience. The reusable box serves as a small entertainment package and its contents are made for use beyond the flight.
- Unique Features: The Smurfs is a traditional Belgium-made cartoon and integrating them into the airline brand was a no brainer, promoting a Belgium tradition and putting smiles on little faces. A strong and long lasting relationship with the supplier means the product can be easily adapted and revitalized in the future reflecting the airline’s commitment to continuous innovation.
Catering Innovation of the Year 2017 – Buy on board menu from Brussels Airlines in collaboration with Foodmaker
- Onboard supplier: Foodmaker
- Featured onboard: Brussels Airlines
- Description: Brussels Airlines has partnered with the Belgium organics specialist, Foodmaker to create a buy-on-board product selection that is innovative, delicious and healthy. While Premium passengers travelling in Flex and Fast enjoy complimentary F&B, Economy has access to the buy-on-board card designed to be appealing in both look and feel, as well as featuring some storytelling about the Foodmaker brand. Each new menu is valid for a period of three months, with a different selection of salads, pastas and sandwiches available each month. The menu features a wide choice and all Foodmaker products are certified organic and use no mayonnaise. The collaboration builds on other longstanding relationships with suppliers such as Neuhaus, Lotus, Laurent Perrier.
- Function: The buy-on-board menu serves as both a menu card and a duty free magazine, where passengers are can indulge in both food and shopping. Offering such a healthy selection helps counter the stress and hassle of travel, and responds to growing demand for healthy choices.
- Passenger Experience: To reflect the carrier’s aim of being a ‘human-scale’ airline, the collaboration brings better value, taste and feel to the service onboard. The partnership also gives an operational advantage as menus are either custom created or drawn from an extensive portfolio of all-organic recipes. Much of the produce is grown at Foodmaker farms or sourced locally to ensure quality never diminishes.
- Unique features: The fresh products in this buy-on-board offer are unique in an industry where the majority of the food items sold are long life and taste and quality are often low. Foodmaker products are produced in Brussels and shipped daily to guarantee freshness. Most airlines would resist the logistical costs and potential waste but Brussels has strategically positioned itself to focus on customer satisfaction, ideally winning their wallets by winning the heart.
The 2017 Onboard Hospitality Awards are now open for voting, view the voting form and vote here (registration required)
Additional information about the awards, found on http://www.onboardhospitality.com/awards/
These awards seek out and recognise those products which have truly changed the onboard hospitality industry for the better.
Onboard Hospitality Editor, Julie Baxter, says: “The success of these awards shows just what a creative and innovative industry we operate in. Each year the breadth and standard of entries rises, reflecting the ever-growing importance of onboard hospitality to the passenger experience. We look forward to seeing more new and exciting products entered for the 2017 awards and championing their success.”
Uniquely, initial voting will be made by our international readers, with final judgement made by a panel of distinguished experts from the industry.