On 29 May 2018 a Transavia Boeing 737 (PH-HXE) from Las Palmas to Amsterdam Schiphol was forced to divert to Faro, Portugal after the stench of one passenger reportedly caused those around him to vomit and to faint.
In Faro the passenger was offloaded from the flight, he was later identified as Andrey Suchilin, a 58-year-old Russian art-rock guitarist. Andrey Suchilin was eventually taken to the hospital where they discovered that the stench was caused by necrosis, a form of cell injury which results in the premature death of cells in living tissue by autolysis.
Necrosis is caused by factors external to the cell or tissue, such as infection, toxins, or trauma which result in the unregulated digestion of cell components.
“The tragic and comic component of this whole situation is that I caught a disease, which (let’s not say how and why) makes a person quite stinky. As a result, a group of passengers may demand the captain for you to be removed from the plane,” Andrey Suchilin wrote on his Facebook page.
Andrey Suchilin stayed in intensive care and underwent various operations, but succumbed to the infection. On Monday 25 June, he sadly passed away in the Portuguese hospital.