On Thursday 20 September 2018, Air Corsica achieved an important milestone in the development of its international routes: it hit the 100,000 passenger mark on flights between Brussels Charleroi and Corsica (Ajaccio, Bastia and Calvi), in less than two summer seasons of flights.
Onboard its Ajaccio-Brussels Charleroi XK790 flight, the regional airline Air Corsica, Corsica’s leading air travel company, celebrated its one hundred thousandth passenger between Brussels Charleroi and Corsica.
The winning traveller, who had already been sufficiently attracted to the Isle of Beauty to stay there, received a prize worthy of the occasion: a year of free flights from Brussels Charleroi airport, offering the opportunity to go back and explore different parts of Corsica, like Ajaccio, Bastia, Calvi.
He also accepted a challenge (of giving the correct answer to a question about the Brussels Charleroi-Corsica routes asked during the flight) that saw all the other passengers on the flight win a free return ticket.
Air Corsica, present at Brussels Charleroi Airport since 26 March 2017
Having enjoyed huge success with its Ajaccio-Brussels Charleroi and Bastia-Brussels Charleroi flights since 2017, when the routes were launched, Air Corsica continued to consolidate its presence in summer 2018 by:
– adding more summer flights (between 4 and 11 flights per week),
– launching a new destination (Calvi-Brussels Charleroi),
– extending its programme up to and including the 2018 Christmas holidays.
This consolidation represents an increase of 24,000 seats compared to 2017, including the extension of the 2018 programme until the beginning of January 2019.
Developing routes between Brussels Charleroi and Corsica over three years
Air Corsica has put together a development programme designed to cover the whole year. It encompasses three years, with an ambitious ramp up. Identified as “Corsica’s ambassador”, it has offered flights:
– in the first year, from the end of March to the end of October 2017 with 60,000 seats,
– in the second year from the end of March 2018 to the beginning of January 2019 with 84,000 seats, so a 40% increase in activity.
According to bookings that have already been taken, Air Corsica is set to carry more passengers by the end of September 2018 than the same period last year, which points to excellent growth in terms of passenger numbers this year.
In 2019, flights to/from Brussels Charleroi will start again at the end of March: the goal is to offer flights throughout the year, with an ultimate target of 100,000 seats per year.
A truly innovative approach: attractive frequency, prices and services
Air Corsica offers a doubly innovative programme: Brussels Charleroi-Corsica and Corsica-Brussels Charleroi, providing fantastic flexibility and the chance to enjoy holidays until late autumn. Winter in Corsica offers plenty of opportunities for exploring and activities: village festivals and fairs selling local produce, the famous Christmas markets in Ajaccio and Bastia (South and North), mountain trips to the Forest of Vizzavona and Restonica Valley (central Corsica), walking in snowshoes during snowy periods (central Corsica), the vineyards with opportunities for wine tasting (in the North and the South), the famous religious procession in Sartène, LE CATENACCIU (Southern Corsica), the different museums.
Corsica has to offer, plus much more
With its choice of days and times, Air Corsica is perfect for short and long stays. Plus, its range of frequencies makes it easy to arrive and leave via different airports, so you can explore the whole of the island.
For example, a Belgian tourist can fly to Ajaccio and depart from Bastia airport, after exploring Cap Corse.
This offering is accompanied by an attractive, competitive pricing policy, including free “extra” services:
- An entry-level price of €39 inclusive of all taxes for a one-way ticket available up to and including the 2018 Christmas holidays, with the last flight on 6 January 2019 (can be exchanged without any penalties within the same booking class).
- Services included: 23kg of hold baggage (allowance doubled depending on your booking class), 12kg of cabin baggage + 1 handbag, hot and cold drinks and light refreshments served onboard, plus a daily newspaper and in-flight magazine, online check-in and choice of seat, special assistance for children travelling alone (UM) and Passengers with Reduced Mobility (PRM), telephone sales support 7 days a week, no charges on the www.aircorsica.com website, regardless of the credit card used.
- Flights for summer 2019 are already available to buy: for information and to buy your ticket, visit www.aircorsica.com
Jean-Jacques CLOQUET, Chief Executive Officer of Brussels South Charleroi Airport, is delighted to welcome the 100,000th passenger carried by Air Corsica: “After just over a year of activity, and an excellent partnership between Air Corsica and Brussels-Charleroi Airport, we are absolutely thrilled about the milestone that we have reached today. We are proud to have made it possible for more than 100,000 passengers to travel between Corsica and Belgium. This shows that demand for the Isle of Beauty really was there, and passengers were keen to make the most of the opportunity. Air Corsica is one of Brussels-Charleroi Airport’s finest successes, and Corsica, with its many beautiful attractions and lovely climate, boasts huge potential for Belgian travellers. We are thrilled with the growth of Air Corsica’s operations at Brussels-Charleroi, and the decision to expand flights to Corsica to cover the whole year”.
Hervé PIERRET, Member of Air Corsica’s Board, explains: “Since 2017, we have been able to establish ourselves at Charleroi as the airport’s leading regular airline. We offer a quality service that meets the needs of our Belgian clients, who were immediately won over. This year, we have seen an excellent average occupancy rate (87%), an increase compared to the 2017 season. These results are also the outcome of a fruitful relationship between the teams at Brussels-Charleroi Airport and our own. We hope that our compatriots will also be able to enjoy the charms of Corsica in the autumn, as we are extending our flights to the beginning of January 2019”.
Thursday 20 September 2018