Air traffic controllers at skeyes – ensuring the safety and efficiency of air traffic in Belgium – have announced social actions on Tuesday evening and Tuesday night, union VSOA/SLFP announced. “This is a wake-up call,” says unionist Lennert Mervilde of VSOA/SLFP. “The workload is too high to guarantee the safety of air traffic.“
For the Christian union ACV/CSC-Transcom, the demands of the workers (a list of 25 points, including requests for career interruption, promotions and bonuses) are not heard. “Yesterday’s management proposals are largely insufficient,” Kurt Callaerts said.
“Punctual campaigns will start from 22:00 (UTC +1) onward, which will certainly last until 8:00 tomorrow morning. We are currently reviewing and working out the details so that the safety of passengers, crews, emergency flights and medical emergencies can be guaranteed during the actions.”
Meanwhile, the timing of the actions have been released (all times UTC +1):
- Brussels Airport: Arrivals & Departures (zero – rate) from 12 March 22:00 until 24:00
- Ostend Airport: Arrivals & Departures (zero – rate) from 13 March 00:00 until 02:00
- Liège Airport: Arrivals & Departures (zero – rate) from 13 March 02:00 – 04:00
- Belgian airspace closed on 13 March between 04:00 and 06:00
- Charleroi Airport: Arrivals & Departures (zero – rate) from 13 March 06:00 – 08:00
The unions will give the management another week until the next conciliation meeting on 18 March. “If there isn’t any improvement, new actions will follow,” the unions threatened.