on using GPS and Google Maps in flight

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

domtom

on using GPS and Google Maps in flight

Post by domtom »

Hi,

As the title says it, I randomly opened Google maps while on a plane. Plane mode was on, but I could see the blue dot plotting the flight on GMaps. Was pretty cool, but how is this possible? Does the phone use some sort of GPS antenna from the plane. To clarify, there was no WiFi on the plane or any such thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Acid-drop

Re: on using GPS and gMaps in flight

Post by Acid-drop »

You dont need data to receive the gps signal thru the windows
Gps is passive, receiving only so it can be used in flight mode
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

luchtzak

Re: on using GPS and Google Maps in flight

Post by luchtzak »

Gerald Barber on Quora.com:

I have read the answers below, let's see if I can give you a better breakdown.

First: a cellphone has two built-in antennas. One for cellular communication (your phone first and foremost is a radio frequency transceiver/receiver for two way communications) When you enable “Airplane Mode” the RF transceiver/receiver is disabled so your phone cannot interfere with the avionics in an Airplane.

Secondly: Every cellular phone since the early 2000’s have an additional built-in GPS antenna and receiver. As you are most likely aware GPS is a acronym for Global Positioning System…. GPS satellites surround the Earth in a geosynchronous orbit. For GPS to work effectively and accurately your device needs to ping at least 3 satellites (known as triangulation).

Google Maps utilizes both cellular data and GPS data. GPS data is more accurate… so in short even though you may enable Airplane Mode the GPS system is as previously stated a passive system and therefore your phone receives the signals from the GPS satellites, the more satellites the more accurate the “fix” that is calculated by Google's mapping algorithms.

Hence, even when in Airplane Mode your device is always utilizing this passive system to geo- locate you within a + or - approximately 200ft area.

There is a great deal of technology involved but that's about as easy as I am able to make it.

I hope this satisfactorily answers your question.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

luchtzak wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:50 Gerald Barber on Quora.com:
…. GPS satellites surround the Earth in a geosynchronous orbit.
Do we have the name of the culprit who kicked the satellites out to a 36000km orbit?
Not sure they are useful up there.
;)

H.A.

domtom

Post by domtom »

So are you saying that obviously turning off GPS would stop this?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Yes
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.