News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply

SabenaForever
Posts: 441
Joined: 24 Dec 2003, 00:00

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by SabenaForever » 02 May 2018, 14:05

Since yesterday Emirates is sending there 77W with the new interior 2x daily to BRU. Before it was only 1x daily...

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32886
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by sn26567 » 03 May 2018, 17:11

Emirates temporarily grounded some aircraft to optimize operations as demand slows and fewer flight crew are available. The carrier, responding to reports that six A380s and 14 B777s are in storage for May 2018, confirmed it has "some aircraft units on the ground over slower periods, which is common industry practice".
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus
Posts: 827
Joined: 24 Feb 2007, 18:28
Location: 2300NM due South of North Pole

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by Homo Aeroportus » 12 May 2018, 12:18

sn26567 wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:11
Emirates temporarily grounded some aircraft to optimize operations as demand slows and fewer flight crew are available. The carrier, responding to reports that six A380s and 14 B777s are in storage for May 2018, confirmed it has "some aircraft units on the ground over slower periods, which is common industry practice".
It is indeed becoming a "common industry practice" ... to run short of pilots !

The number that is circulating is substantially more than the "100-150 too few pilots" mentioned publicly and this may explain why EK has reduced the frequency to quite a number of destination such as LHR, KUL, BKK, MUC, ...
All of these destination had at least one daily flight cancelled till end of May/June.
Rumour has it though that pilot shortage will still be felt through September.


Nevertheless, the big plan is still for a continuous growth and the "Government of Dubai" stand at the Dubai Airport Show this week expresses confidence in this.
IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG
The above shows the Al Maktoum model, at its final stage (which I seem to remember was once said to be a 6-runway facility ...).
Next year will see another reduction of flights in and out of DXB but this time due to rehab of the 30L-12R runway which is planned to last 6 weeks, between mid April and end of may (the last 4 weeks being the month of Ramadan...).
Airlines will then be requested to reduce their flights to DXB and are offered incentives to fly to OMDW-DWC instead with landing fees being on the house.
Ground transportation by coaches to Dubai city and DXB will also be offered for free.

Presently Al Maktoum has only one runway and limited terminal facilities. A contractor has been appointed last week to work on the West Terminal and Concourse 1.

H.A.

JustPlanes
Posts: 730
Joined: 11 Aug 2008, 21:27
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by JustPlanes » 13 May 2018, 07:51

Back in the days when many airlines were letting pilots go Emirates had an easy job bringing them in... but now things have changes... first of all many who worked for EK are fed up with the long hours, long flights not to mention living in Dubai... and then you have airlines all over the world hiring pilots so they can get a job at or closer to home... They probably make less money but they're home... thats why EK is having some serious pilot problems... not this problem has been going on for more than a year but they're now having to admit it because you can see the planes idle at DXB...
On top of that you have Qatar and Etihad who have taken a lot of pilots as well in that area... and I think that living in Doha and Abu Dhabi is not as busy as Dubai....

Personally I don't see how EK is going to crew all those airplanes they have on order... I think they would have been much better off staying at a certain size and focusing on maintaining the quality of service... nowadays it seems like if you want the better service you have to go with Qatar... EK is so-so... specially in the back!

b720
Posts: 786
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by b720 » 13 May 2018, 09:13

I agree.. their service is not What it used to be.. on the other hand they connect the world, and that s true. Life in Dubai is not easy, very restricted (if one compares to life in Western Europe) and very expensive, especially if one has a family and children of school age.. I think that in the duture Will have to recruit/train pilots from the region and try to convince Locals to actually work!

Poiu
Posts: 399
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 09:38

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by Poiu » 13 May 2018, 12:00

EK pilots just got a 15000€ Easter bonus, they must be short on pilots.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32886
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by sn26567 » 16 May 2018, 22:29

Emirates was denied fifth freedom rights by Mexico, which the carrier filed for on a route between Dubai and Mexico City, via Barcelona.

Why does the EU still give fifth freedom rights to airlines that are taking away passenger from its flag carriers?
André
ex Sabena #26567

JustPlanes
Posts: 730
Joined: 11 Aug 2008, 21:27
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by JustPlanes » 17 May 2018, 07:18

sn26567 wrote:
16 May 2018, 22:29
Emirates was denied fifth freedom rights by Mexico, which the carrier filed for on a route between Dubai and Mexico City, via Barcelona.

Why does the EU still give fifth freedom rights to airlines that are taking away passenger from its flag carriers?
Rights could be given when no airline operates the routes... say if EK wanted to operate DXB-BRU-MEX why not pick up pax in BRU as there is no service to MEX from BRU...
AM is starting nonstop MEX-BCN and I have no doubts that eventually Level will start BCN-MEX... not to mention 5 flights a day by AM, IB and AE on MAD-MEX... so there's really no need for EK there...
I thought EK was going to operate that routes via Switzerland and there are no nonstop from ZRH or GVA to MEX.

asianlao02
Posts: 63
Joined: 22 May 2015, 14:19
Location: Namur

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by asianlao02 » 17 May 2018, 09:37

JustPlanes wrote:
17 May 2018, 07:18
sn26567 wrote:
16 May 2018, 22:29
Emirates was denied fifth freedom rights by Mexico, which the carrier filed for on a route between Dubai and Mexico City, via Barcelona.

Why does the EU still give fifth freedom rights to airlines that are taking away passenger from its flag carriers?
Rights could be given when no airline operates the routes... say if EK wanted to operate DXB-BRU-MEX why not pick up pax in BRU as there is no service to MEX from BRU...
AM is starting nonstop MEX-BCN and I have no doubts that eventually Level will start BCN-MEX... not to mention 5 flights a day by AM, IB and AE on MAD-MEX... so there's really no need for EK there...
I thought EK was going to operate that routes via Switzerland and there are no nonstop from ZRH or GVA to MEX.
they can't get fifth freedom from ZRH, only GVA

SabenaForever
Posts: 441
Joined: 24 Dec 2003, 00:00

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by SabenaForever » 23 May 2018, 16:55

Does Anybody know why EK181 to BRU is cancelled today? Yesterday and tomorrow also... Pilot shortage?

Greets

User avatar
travellover
Posts: 259
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 00:14
Location: plane heaven
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by travellover » 23 May 2018, 17:56

SabenaForever wrote:
23 May 2018, 16:55
Does Anybody know why EK181 to BRU is cancelled today? Yesterday and tomorrow also... Pilot shortage?

Greets
Probably. On their website and on flightaware for instance, EK181 is flying this week on 1---567 days.

https://fr.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE181
Cheers

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 9936
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by luchtzak » 23 May 2018, 21:43

Lack of pilots at Emirates

Darjeeling
Posts: 185
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 10:13

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by Darjeeling » 27 May 2018, 12:12

I juste saw the article about EK's cancellations out BRU, but I only numbered three (??) cancellations on EK 181/182 on 22nd/23rd and 24th of May, am I right ?

User avatar
travellover
Posts: 259
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 00:14
Location: plane heaven
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by travellover » 27 May 2018, 13:18

After simulating a reservation research EK's website,
EK181/182 is not flying on Tuesdays and Wednesdays 29/5, 30/5, 5/6, 6/6, 12/6, 13/6.
The following weeks, back to daily.
Cheers

JVSpotter
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 11:27
Contact:

Re: News from Emirates (EK/UAE) 2018

Post by JVSpotter » 27 May 2018, 14:41

Maybe also due to the Ramadan? Emirates also changed ac on the evening flight from/to Duesseldorf, because of less people booking. After the Ramadan they will change to A380 at DUS

Post Reply