Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Trivia 2018 (miscellaneous news)

Post by sn26567 »

Etihad plans to forge new codeshare partnerships with airlines around the world as it continues an operational review to narrow losses in 2018 and bring the carrier back to profitability and sustainable growth.

They might have learned from their poor investments in AB and AZ that a codeshare partnership is better than an outright capital share.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Guess when the Belgian Red Devils started their game against Brazil :D
Schermopname (232).png
Schermopname (232).png (16.95 KiB) Viewed 3529 times

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Schiphol Amsterdam Airport - one cabin crew member from a foreign airline (= no NL) won't finish his training as ccm: he was arrested this morning by Dutch police, after they recieved a hint from passengers. Result of the blood test: 0,2% (2 promil). I guess he was seen waggling through the airport.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2271799 ... -vliegtuig

(Dutch Police never gives the name of the airline when something like this happens)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Zimbabwe is reportedly considering merging Air Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Airways to end tension between the two state-owned airlines. Two state-owned airlines competing against each other?

This whole country is a mess. No surprise that it is also the case for its aviation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

False bomb alert at Eindhoven Airport, on Ryanair's FR-1108 Eindhoven-Edinburgh.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-dan

Three other departures on hold, one arrival diverted.

https://www.ed.nl/eindhoven/bommelding ... ~a4959ed5/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Please let us all wellcome: Single European Sky 2+

"...European Aviation: no more delays, the time for action is now..."

Joint Statement by Violeta Bulc, EU Commissioner for Transport and Karima Delli, Chair of the European Parliament's Committee on Transport and Tourism.

2018 is expected to be the busiest year so far in terms of air traffic, with 11 million flights forecast. On top of that the summer holiday season is upon us, which is the busiest period for air travel. The bleak reality is that around 50,000 passengers will face delays - every day - of up to 2 hours in airports across Europe, leading to missed connections and unforeseen costs. Our current air traffic system is struggling to cope with the ever increasing volume of traffic, and other disruptions which contribute to these delays.

The system needs an urgent upgrade. Now is the moment to be bold – we need a more genuine cooperation between national air navigation service providers, and we need to work with Eurocontrol to create a more effective management of the European network. This will improve the efficiency and capacity of our network, which will in turn reduce delays and congestion in our airports, and also help to mitigate the serious environmental impact of aviation.

The EU has been working to move away from a national fragmented approach, towards a harmonised one. The existing EU legal framework governing European airspace (Single European Sky) has led to a better use of air capacity: Safety levels have improved, there is less pollution and also a decrease of fuel consumption of more than 2% per flight. We have also halted the increases in the cost of air traffic management. But this was not sufficient.

That is why the Commission went one step further and proposed a reform of this legal framework (Single European Sky 2+) in order to upgrade the system, but unfortunately this has been on hold for years. This reform would contribute to more efficiency, shorter routes and lower operational and environmental costs. This could generate 36 billion euro in savings over the next 20 years, and deliver up to 11 000 jobs.

Yes, the EU economy and the aviation sector are growing again and that is great news. Planes are packed, and airports are humming with activity. We now need to ensure that this European success story continues. We are therefore calling on the EU Member States and stakeholders to work with us to help build a modern and efficient air traffic infrastructure in Europe, allowing citizens to travel smoothly and for our economy to remain competitive. Only together can we bring about the changes that the system desperately needs.

Source:
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commiss ... iaments_en

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 16:51 Zimbabwe is reportedly considering merging Air Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Airways to end tension between the two state-owned airlines. Two state-owned airlines competing against each other?

This whole country is a mess. No surprise that it is also the case for its aviation.
Are they in competition? As I read wikipedia, Zimbabwe Airways was just a temporary work-around for receiving some aircraft - acquired with considerable effort! - when Air Zimbabwe was obviously unable to.

Even highly developed Western Europe has seen countries with more than one state-owned airline, though meant to be non-competitors: France had Air France and Air Inter, Britain had BOAC and BEA.

And yes, the country of Zimbabwe might perhaps be called a mess - doesn't that apply to the majority of African countries? Then again, some might well call our own dear Belgium a mess, too. But all that is politics, of course.

Finally, allow me to complain once more about your eternal misuse of the word "aviation" where you obviously mean "commercial air transport". I hear of very little problems, if any at all, in general aviation in Zimbabwe. For just one example.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:56
sn26567 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 16:51 Zimbabwe is reportedly considering merging Air Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Airways to end tension between the two state-owned airlines. Two state-owned airlines competing against each other? This whole country is a mess. No surprise that it is also the case for its aviation.
And yes, the country of Zimbabwe might perhaps be called a mess - doesn't that apply to the majority of African countries? Then again, some might well call our own dear Belgium a mess, too. But all that is politics, of course.
On 16th May 2017, the European Union has added Air Zimbabwe to their Safety Ban List. Clear proof that something is wrong with that state airline, isn't it? Regarding aviation (and I haven't been there for three years), but "the mess at Zimbabwe" is on a quite different scale then "the mess in Belgium". That's not politics: that's factual. Yes, there might be less reports. But that's because the CAAZ is a mess too, and because the country's economy has collapsed. So there's no need for GA aviation anymore (apart from the 20 minutes scenic flights from VFA to the Victoria Falls).

jan_olieslagers wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:56 Finally, allow me to complain once more about your eternal misuse of the word "aviation" where you obviously mean "commercial air transport". I hear of very little problems, if any at all, in general aviation in Zimbabwe. For just one example.
Stop that nitpicking please. This website/forum is called Aviation24, not CommercialAirTransport24. Even the European Union's aviation safety department uses 'Aviation' for your 'commercial air transport'.

jan_olieslagers

Stop that nitpicking please. This website/forum is called Aviation24, not CommercialAirTransport24.
Sorry, I won't. And you hit my issue with the tip of the needle: this website styles itself "aviation", yet only discusses commercial air transport. Few messages about business aviation, still less about recreational aviation, only a very few about military aviation. Time and again I have challenged the moderators about this, and always I got the answer "this forum aims to cover all aspects of aviation" but little do they do about it.

Call that nitpicking if you will, to me a chair is a chair and a table is a table, and furniture is furniture.

jan_olieslagers

On 16th May 2017, the European Union has added Air Zimbabwe to their Safety Ban List. Clear proof that something is wrong with that state airline, isn't it?
I am quite willing to believe that, and indeed the local government admitted as much by creating the alternate Zimbabwe Airways to receive those nice new aircraft they had so much worked for.

Again, what's exceptional? What percentage of African airlines are on that ban list?

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 15:47
jan_olieslagers wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:56 Finally, allow me to complain once more about your eternal misuse of the word "aviation" where you obviously mean "commercial air transport". I hear of very little problems, if any at all, in general aviation in Zimbabwe. For just one example.
Stop that nitpicking please. This website/forum is called Aviation24, not CommercialAirTransport24. Even the European Union's aviation safety department uses 'Aviation' for your 'commercial air transport'.
Pease go on with your nitpicking :) . It can hurt those with an overdeveloped ego, but I learn something almost every time I read your remarks; so do not hesitate to correct me whenever I wrongly use some word or expression or when my english is deficient.

It is important to understand what a word or expression actually means; it is a fundamental condition for a sound dialog, imho. :)

On another note, I disagree with your remark about the lack of business or recreational aviation news on the forum. I can understand your frustration about that but, as far as I can judge, the forum is open and you can create any topic you wish.

jan_olieslagers

Thanks, @Convair. But it is a thin line between criticising people and critising (their) words. Frankly, I do not see any overdeveloped egos round here - there are some environments on this www much worse in that respect, nl.wikipedia.org to begin with! - , but some valuable contributors seem all too delicate to (perceived) criticism.

Surely the aim and goal of a forum is the exchange of information (and perhaps of individual tastes and opinions, too) and our prime tool is language. So yes we should take care of language, just like a carpenter should keep the chisels sharp, and painters should keep a clear eye, and clean brushes :)

And yes, of course, anybody can post anything aviation-related, yes. That's another reply I was offered over and again, but it's too cheap an apology. Sure enough many people have tried their best. Remember @Captain Remy? or @Baron von Lederhausen? All gone now. In despair, I suppose, or at least in disappointment. As long as the moderators only post about commercial air transport, this forum will be about nothing else. As shown by history.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:04 As long as the moderators only post about commercial air transport, this forum will be about nothing else. As shown by history.
Are you reading all the forums? You would certainly see that the Belgian Spotting forum shows every day the activity of private and military aircraft as well as commercial aircraft, that our main page reports about developments in military and business aviation as well as in commercial aviation.

And nobody here in the web team will prevent anyone to post about all these topics.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Luchtzak Tower, I say again:
That's another reply I was offered over and again, but it's too cheap an apology.
But thanks for confirming my point.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 21:49 But thanks for confirming my point.
Good to read that you have finally understood how it works here: if you want to discuss a General Aviation issue, you can open a topic about it yourself.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 16:51 Zimbabwe is reportedly considering merging Air Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Airways to end tension between the two state-owned airlines.
Done deal!

Air Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Airways will be merged under one board, with Zimbabwe Airways to operate international routes and Air Zimbabwe to be operating domestic and regional routes. Zimbabwe Leasing Aviation Company will be wound up as a result, and the debt of Air Zimbabwe will be taken over within the developed framework.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Just had a casual look at FR24 minutes ago and I wondered why this :

Screenshot 2018-07-16 18.35.29.png
Two Ryanair flights rejected landing on EBBR RWY07L.

Looks like OO-TCV bound for GVA had to RTB and got priority.
Screenshot 2018-07-16 18.39.09.png

Looks a bit tricky to go around from RWY07L with the arrivals from the East, no?

H.A.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

And minutes after the need to change the runway in use.
Now back to 25L/R.
Wind was 060 at 5kt and minutes later reported 290 at 19kt.

This led some guys to write their names in the sky :

Screenshot 2018-07-16 18.53.22.png

Never a dull moment for the ATCOs hey?

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

"...Rosaviatsiya official in custody for bribe from iFly Head. Earlier, a court arrested the Head of iFly airline, Evgeny Filatov, in the same case. Yury Malyshev, Deputy Head of Rosaviatsiya Transport Regulation Department, was taken into custody on charges of taking a bribe on an especially large scale, the press secretary of Meshchansky District Court of Moscow, Yuliya Kotomina, told RBC. According to the spokesperson of the court, the arrest request was filed by the First Department for Investigating Particularly Important Cases of the Moscow Interregional Investigation Directorate on Transport of the Investigative Committee (ICR)..."

Source and more info:
https://en.crimerussia.com/corruption/r ... in-custody-for-bribe-from-ifly-head/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

A few months ago, the FPIM / SFPI (Federale Participatie- en Investeringsmaatschappij / Société Fédérale de Participations et d'Investissement) has done a cash injection into Air Belgium.

On 6th July 2018, the Belgian federal government has decided that aviation will become one of the five core businesses for the SFPI/FPIM. The decision is not in the press release from the federal government about that meeting (06th July), but minister Peeters has given more details about it in his own press release. Quote from Kris Peeters - Dutch only:
"...Binnen het transversale organisatiemodel van de globale portefeuille van FPIM aan de hand van de vier kennisgroepen bepaald, focust FPIM haar inspanningen als investeringsmaatschappij in het bijzonder op de volgende strategische speerpuntsectoren:
- luchtvaart;
- vastgoed;
- netwerken;
- internationale investeringen;
- innovatie..."

Source:
http://www.krispeeters.be/portfolio/fed ... mische-rol

General press release federal government, without details - NL:
http://www.presscenter.org/nl/pressrele ... federale-p

General press release federal government, without details - FR:
http://www.presscenter.org/fr/pressrele ... derale-de-