Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

The endless problems of the electronic passport control at BRU

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 14:28 One of the reason they close the electronic passport control so early it's because it's to expensive to put 2 more police men!!!!
I'm sure here Brussels Airport can find a solution to spend more money and to improve there services but they just do nothing....
You say that you are living in Brussels. Don't you know then that the Police service has nothing to do with Brussels Airport Company? Airport operators don't pay the police men (m/f), they don't hire them, they don't make their duty rosters, they can't force them to open more control gates. The only thing the airport can do / has to do, is to arrange the venue where the Police has to work, to provide a rest room with coffee, and other logistical stuff.

But then... off course you know this.

JOVAN

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

Police Union at airport are very intimidating.

Rememeber how long they have blocked, delayed the re-opening of the airport after the 22.03.16 attacks ??
Far too long.
Police Unions have misused the attacks to push their revendications.
In other countries this would be called sabotage or mutiny.
In Belgium they can just do it.

How about changing Immigation police to military ??
No jokes, no revendications, just discipline.

Flight controllers in BRU are similar case; spoiled, over-paid and lack of responsibility towards the millions of PAX they should serve.

Its a hard job, yes. But they are pais for it, get all kind of advantages and then, for any little incidnt they go on strike, or (in a more coward way) they all get "sick" at the sae time..

Only in Belgium

KriVa

Re: Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by KriVa »

While I can’t comment about police, I can say this:
Your views about ATCOs at BRU is utterly wrong. I won’t be going into more detail, and I know this simple sentence won’t change your mind, but that doesn’t change the truth.
Thomas

lumumba

Re: The endless problems of the electronic passport control at BRU

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 14:51
lumumba wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 14:28 One of the reason they close the electronic passport control so early it's because it's to expensive to put 2 more police men!!!!
I'm sure here Brussels Airport can find a solution to spend more money and to improve there services but they just do nothing....
You say that you are living in Brussels. Don't you know then that the Police service has nothing to do with Brussels Airport Company? Airport operators don't pay the police men (m/f), they don't hire them, they don't make their duty rosters, they can't force them to open more control gates. The only thing the airport can do / has to do, is to arrange the venue where the Police has to work, to provide a rest room with coffee, and other logistical stuff.

But then... off course you know this.
I can't believe that the airport has nothing to say about the organization of the airport....
Sure they can intervene in the way the airport works its impossible the other way...
Now I don't now how it works but it is not completely separated that's for sure
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sean1982

Re: Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by sean1982 »

As they say, money makes the world go round. If BAC throws money at whoever decides how many officers get stationed at BRU they will get more officers. I suppose the government doesn't supply the service for free?

convair

Post by convair »

sean1982 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 15:35 As they say, money makes the world go round. If BAC throws money at whoever decides how many officers get stationed at BRU they will get more officers. I suppose the government doesn't supply the service for free?
I really don't know who bears these costs. It's the government's job to impose controls at BRU as well as at other entry points into the country (by air, sea, or land); so I would think it's at its (meaning our) cost.

Magiktrix

Post by Magiktrix »

Fully agree with Romax and Kriva. BIAC, the airlines and the pax are suffering from this.
BIAC and the airlines are putting a lot of pressure on FEDPOL to solve the issue, unfortunately with no effect.
Fedpol has 15000 police officer's around the country. You find them everywhere you go.
The airport is said to be the second source of revenue in the country after the port of Antwerp.
And still nobody can persuade FEDPOL management or the politics that its worth.
And the need is really not that big.
If it was just a question of BIAC paying more, to get more, the issue won't be there.
There is no lack of G4S agent.

PttU

Post by PttU »

sean1982 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 15:35 As they say, money makes the world go round. If BAC throws money at whoever decides how many officers get stationed at BRU they will get more officers. I suppose the government doesn't supply the service for free?
If you want a policeman stationed at your (non-aviation related) company, or at home, you can't just throw money at it. The policeforce is a non-commercial institution.
But by being non-commercial, you need other ways to influence them, like political, and it would be typical Belgian to have as much policemen in BRU+OST+ANR as in LGG+CRL or some other stupid reason why it sounds way easier to say "put some more police there" than getting it done ;)

Inquirer

BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Inquirer »

News about the constantly failed e-gates picked up by the press:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20171030_03162651

BRUflyer

Post by BRUflyer »

I think a part of the ongoing technical problems lies in the fact that I haven’t seen the system that they use in Brussels anywhere else. In all other airports with E-gates (at least those I’ve visited) you put your passport on the glass plate of the reader. At BRU however the passport gets pulled into the machine. I think that’s just asking for trouble.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Inquirer wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 07:09 News about the constantly failed e-gates picked up by the press:
Het kabinet van minister van Binnenlandse Zaken Jan Jambon (N-VA) laat weten dat de ‘e-gates’ bovenaan het lijstje met aandachtspunten staan. “De fabrikant en leverancier zijn al gesommeerd geweest”, klinkt het. “We gaan hier niet losjes over en volgen dit kort op. Tegelijk vragen we wel geduld. We zijn pioniers in dit verhaal. Dat wil zeggen dat kinderziekten niet uit te sluiten zijn.”

That's a long childhood disease ....

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

BRUflyer wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 08:09 I think a part of the ongoing technical problems lies in the fact that I haven’t seen the system that they use in Brussels anywhere else. In all other airports with E-gates (at least those I’ve visited) you put your passport on the glass plate of the reader. At BRU however the passport gets pulled into the machine. I think that’s just asking for trouble.
It's the same in Frankfurt..it's also pulled into the machine..
And in Frankfurt I never had to wait!
In fact the worst airport is CDG if you don't have the French passport you can not use the E gates!
I don't now why it's like that but you have to register first before you be able to use them.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

luchtzak wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 08:36
Inquirer wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 07:09 News about the constantly failed e-gates picked up by the press:
Het kabinet van minister van Binnenlandse Zaken Jan Jambon (N-VA) laat weten dat de ‘e-gates’ bovenaan het lijstje met aandachtspunten staan. “De fabrikant en leverancier zijn al gesommeerd geweest”, klinkt het. “We gaan hier niet losjes over en volgen dit kort op. Tegelijk vragen we wel geduld. We zijn pioniers in dit verhaal. Dat wil zeggen dat kinderziekten niet uit te sluiten zijn.”

That's a long childhood disease ....
pioneers? What a ridiculous statement, there are WORKING e-gates ALL over the world. I have never seen them completely switched off ANYWHERE besides Brussels.