Ryanair in 2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 13 Jan 2017, 00:13

In summer 2017, Ryanair will expand its London Stansted schedule as follows:

- 9 new routes to: Naples (daily), Copenhagen (3 daily), Béziers (3 wkly), Cagliari (3 wkly), Clermont-Ferrand (2 wkly), Grenoble (3 wkly), Nice (daily), Nimes (4 wkly) & Strasbourg (2 wkly)

- More flights to: Bergerac (2 daily), Biarritz (11 wkly), Bordeaux (daily), Carcassonne (12 wkly) Dinard (daily), La Rochelle (daily), Lamezia Terme (5 wkly), Limoges (10 wkly), Lourdes (5 wkly), Marseille (12 wkly), Perpignan (9 wkly), Porto (16 wkly) & Toulouse (2 daily)
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
Passenger
Posts: 4936
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by Passenger » 13 Jan 2017, 15:01

Gate closed at Stansted - and then this Caught on camera happened:


User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 13 Jan 2017, 17:38

Ryanair is finalising the last details of interlining with Norwegian and Aer Lingus for their long-haul flights.
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 18 Jan 2017, 12:05

Ryanair Summer 2017 Brussels Charleroi operation changes

Ryanair last fall announced planned service expansion at Brussels South Charleroi in 2017 previously not covered on Airlineroute. Planned service increase sees a number of routes being extended to year-round, on/after 26MAR17.

Extended from seasonal to year-round:
Brussels South Charleroi – Glasgow International 2 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Madrid 2 daily
Brussels South Charleroi – Sofia 4 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Timisoara 3 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Toulouse 1 daily

Following routes receiving additional frequencies in 2017, based on comparison with summer 2016:
Brussels South Charleroi – Bordeaux Increase from 4 to 5 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Bucharest Increase from 7 to 9 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Budapest Increase from 7 to 9 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Warsaw Modlin Increase from 12 to 14 weekly
Brussels South Charleroi – Venice Treviso Increase from 7 to 10 weekly

Source: Airline Route
André
ex Sabena #26567

koninckske
Posts: 115
Joined: 25 Mar 2004, 00:00

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by koninckske » 18 Jan 2017, 13:05

Please tell the whole story and not just the positive news as Ryanair likes to do. The reductions at BRU were also posted on http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... es-in-s17/

Ryanair recently revised planned operational frequencies at Brussels Zaventem for summer 2017 season, effective from 26MAR17. A number of routes will see number of flights offered in S17 being scaled back, based on the comparison of OAG Schedules Analyser listing, week of 15JAN17 vs week of 13NOV16.

Latest changes as follow. Routes marked with * represents this route is being converted to year-round, but previously not covered on Airlineroute, on/after 26MAR17:

Brussels Zaventem – Alicante 6 weekly (Previously planned 7 weekly)
Brussels Zaventem – Barcelona 3 daily (4 daily)
Brussels Zaventem – Berlin Schoenefeld 17 weekly (21 weekly)
* Brussels Zaventem – Hamburg 7 weekly (12 weekly)
Brussels Zaventem – Lisbon 13 weekly (14 weekly)
* Brussels Zaventem – Madrid 12 weekly (14 weekly)
Brussels Zaventem – Malaga 7 weekly (10 weekly)
* Brussels Zaventem – Malta 1 daily (no changes)
* Brussels Zaventem – Milan Malpensa 12 weekly (14 weekly)
Brussels Zaventem – Porto 7 weekly (9 weekly)
Brussels Zaventem – Rome Fiumcino 16 weekly (21 weekly)

Add to this the routes with no changes and you have now 161 weekly flights from BRU. Previously there were 193 planned. So reducing the BRU program with 16%.

With reduced flying from FR, VY and EZY it is looking good for the marketshare of SN at BRU.

sean1982
Posts: 2990
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sean1982 » 18 Jan 2017, 13:52

koninckske wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:05


With reduced flying from FR, VY and EZY it is looking good for the marketshare of SN at BRU.
Or it's an early indication that the bubble in BRU is about to burst and the yields are unsustainable in the long term. Especially now that fuel prices are slowly starting to creep up again

Stij
Posts: 2049
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by Stij » 18 Jan 2017, 14:03

sean1982 wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:52
Or it's an early indication that the bubble in BRU is about to burst and the yields are unsustainable in the long term. Especially now that fuel prices are slowly starting to creep up again
Maybe, or maybe not, we'll see...

But, as you wrote already, ticket prices probably will creep up as well with the reduced competition...

Cheers,

Stij
See where I've flown at OpenFlights!

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 18 Jan 2017, 14:54

What we see in Belgium in fact is a slow return of Ryanair to its first base CRL, where the low airport taxes enable a sustainable growth. While their Brussels operations are decreasing, their Charleroi operations keep growing steadily (except for the one year when Ryanair started flying from Brussels).
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1266
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by lumumba » 18 Jan 2017, 15:18

sean1982 wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:52
koninckske wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:05


With reduced flying from FR, VY and EZY it is looking good for the marketshare of SN at BRU.
Or it's an early indication that the bubble in BRU is about to burst and the yields are unsustainable in the long term. Especially now that fuel prices are slowly starting to creep up again
All the specialist are agree that oil prices will not move much the next 3 years...
I also think that there is no bubble in Brussels but a big market around and a beautiful tool with Brussels Airport.
That still has to recover from SABENA and is doing so.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sean1982
Posts: 2990
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sean1982 » 18 Jan 2017, 17:11

lumumba wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 15:18

All the specialist are agree that oil prices will not move much the next 3 years...
I also think that there is no bubble in Brussels but a big market around and a beautiful tool with Brussels Airport.
That still has to recover from SABENA and is doing so.
If thats the case then why are SN's load factors remaining stable ... even slightly decreasing (at rock bottom prices)?

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 18 Jan 2017, 19:16

Can we please stick to the topic: "Ryanair" ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

flymd11
Posts: 121
Joined: 05 Apr 2012, 20:03

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by flymd11 » 18 Jan 2017, 20:01

koninckske wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:05

Add to this the routes with no changes and you have now 161 weekly flights from BRU. Previously there were 193 planned. So reducing the BRU program with 16%.
Some of those frequency reductions unfortunately don't help make them attractive for business passengers.

The came could be seen in CGN: a big bang start followed by gradual frequency reductions here and there.

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1266
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by lumumba » 18 Jan 2017, 20:05

sean1982 wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 17:11
lumumba wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 15:18

All the specialist are agree that oil prices will not move much the next 3 years...
I also think that there is no bubble in Brussels but a big market around and a beautiful tool with Brussels Airport.
That still has to recover from SABENA and is doing so.
If thats the case then why are SN's load factors remaining stable ... even slightly decreasing (at rock bottom prices)?
Because they offer more seats and they are growing and don't forget the terrorist attacks...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 18 Jan 2017, 22:56

Ryanair will contest Lufthansa / airberlin deal

Ryanair will lodge a formal complaint against Lufthansa’s plans to wet lease 38 aircraft from its German competitor airberlin, arguing that the deal is anti-competitive.

The agreement, which was finalized in December, will see 38 airberlin Airbus A319/A320 aircraft operating for Eurowings and Austrian Airlines for six years from February.

Eurowings will take 33 of the aircraft, enabling it to phase out up to 20 older A320s, and Austrian Airlines will take the remaining five. The deal also includes a codeshare between Lufthansa and airberlin equity parent Etihad Airways.

More from ATWonline: http://atwonline.com/airlines/ryanair-c ... erlin-deal
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer
Posts: 1944
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:30

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by Inquirer » 21 Jan 2017, 11:26

koninckske wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:05
...you'll have 161 weekly flights from BRU. Previously there were 193 planned. So reducing the BRU program with 16%.
Almost a full plane in fact then, slightly more than I had guessed even, from your initial posting!

From a posting by Sean, it is revealed to be done via a last minute restructuring of their operations to/from BRU, so no plane is physically being pulled out of BRU. This in turn gives away that this huge cut back at BRU is something which is coordinated at the highest group level, and not just the consequence of a local bottleneck at a single base.
sean1982 wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:52
it's an early indication that the bubble in BRU is about to burst and the yields are unsustainable in the long term.
It's a clear indication that the Ryanair base at BRU has thus indeed been financially underperforming -despite all the grand talk it was such a great success- and Ryanair's growth at BRU has thus stalled -can we even speak of growth still when they cut back by 16%?-, so the bubble you refer to has indeed burst... and not surprisingly it burst at the weakest airlines.

I've said so before: airlines not rooted at the base they operate from are not the kind of companies which are willing to fund underperforming operations for many years. There are other far more lucrative routes to deploy their limited resources on, which is exactly what we saw them do at BRU too, for next summer: whether they are called vueling, easyjet, or ryanair, they all make their commercial decisions by the same simple business strategy aimed at maximizing the immediate return from any investments made, hence they all pull back and cut the losses as soon as the headwind they face is getting too strong.

convair
Posts: 1405
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by convair » 21 Jan 2017, 13:00

Inquirer wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 11:26
koninckske wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:05
...you'll have 161 weekly flights from BRU. Previously there were 193 planned. So reducing the BRU program with 16%.
Almost a full plane in fact then, slightly more than I had guessed even, from your initial posting!

From a posting by Sean, it is revealed to be done via a last minute restructuring of their operations to/from BRU, so no plane is physically being pulled out of BRU. This in turn gives away that this huge cut back at BRU is something which is coordinated at the highest group level, and not just the consequence of a local bottleneck at a single base.
sean1982 wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 13:52
it's an early indication that the bubble in BRU is about to burst and the yields are unsustainable in the long term.
It's a clear indication that the Ryanair base at BRU has thus indeed been financially underperforming -despite all the grand talk it was such a great success- and Ryanair's growth at BRU has thus stalled -can we even speak of growth still when they cut back by 16%?-, so the bubble you refer to has indeed burst... and not surprisingly it burst at the weakest airlines.

I've said so before: airlines not rooted at the base they operate from are not the kind of companies which are willing to fund underperforming operations for many years. There are other far more lucrative routes to deploy their limited resources on, which is exactly what we saw them do at BRU too, for next summer: whether they are called vueling, easyjet, or ryanair, they all make their commercial decisions by the same simple business strategy aimed at maximizing the immediate return from any investments made, hence they all pull back and cut the losses as soon as the headwind they face is getting too strong.
This may seem a bit negative for the LCCs (or slightly optimistic for SN) but the analysis is basically correct. And, true, even during a slowdown in BRU's growth, SN has no other choice but to operate from...BRU and find ways to maximize the use of its growing fleet.

crew1990
Posts: 1044
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 21:46

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by crew1990 » 21 Jan 2017, 13:04

Also, I think that when Brussels Airlines grow, it creates even more demand. When Brussels Airlines open a new route, it allow a passenger to fly from the new destination to Brussels but more important, it feeds the global network of Brussels Airlines and partner.

This is not the case with the low-cost carrier

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 32649
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sn26567 » 21 Jan 2017, 23:02

Every opportunity to make some publicity :)

Image
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982
Posts: 2990
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ryanair in 2017

Post by sean1982 » 22 Jan 2017, 09:36

Inquirer wrote:
21 Jan 2017, 11:26
so the bubble you refer to has indeed burst... and not surprisingly it burst at the weakest airlines.
Oh no, it hasn't burst yet. Fr has forced SN into a knee jerk unsustainable growth, sacrificing their regional jets and now having to lease in that type of operations at a very high cost. The load factors are not following the strategy of low yield, high LF ... and with SN's low yield customers now being used to current ticket prices any rise in price (eventhough fuel prices are slightly on the rise) will result in a further stagnation or even drop in LF. The battle is far from over, let alone won ;) oh, and to call FR weak ... sorry inquirer ... is laughable :D

Post Reply