Icelandair planes named after volcanoes

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Icelandair planes named after volcanoes

Post by sn26567 »

All of the Icelandair planes are now named after Icelandic volcanoes.

Icelandair explains: "The names of Iceland’s volcanoes have close ties with the country’s heritage and history and inform foreign conceptions of it as the ever-volcanically active island in the North Atlantic."

Is that such a good idea after an Icelandic volcano stopped all air traffic in Europe for several days a couple of years ago?
André
ex Sabena #26567

galaxy

Re: Icelandair planes named after volcanoes

Post by galaxy »

Can't wait to fly the " Eyjafjallajokull " :?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

galaxy wrote:Can't wait to fly the " Eyjafjallajokull " :?
:lol:

Comet

Post by Comet »

They used to be named after godesses. The Boeing 737 400s were TF-FIA "Aldis", TF-FIB "Eydis", TF-FIC "Vedis" and TF-FID "Heiddis". I had flights in all of them. The Fokker 50s had godess names as well.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

They've done it! They dared to name a plane after the volcano that grounded all European airlines for one week! And they even find people to fly that aircraft!!!
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

The eyafak :x
Is it just me, but this name deserved to be given on a 757/300 instead of the 200 series :lol:

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:They've done it! They dared to name a plane after the volcano that grounded all European airlines for one week! And they even find people to fly that aircraft!!!
Why not actually? I was grounded in Madrid, but I wouldn't have a problem with flying this Icelandair aircraft. Besides, it wasn't really the fault of the volcano that such a big part of the EU airspace was closed, if the EU authorities didn't act like a bunch of scared chickens, only a small part of the airspace including parts of Iceland and Ireland/UK (and some surrounding areas above sea) would have been closed.

earthman

Post by earthman »

I didn't mind the grounding as we were 'forced' to extend our stay in a really nice 5-star hotel in Antalya. It was very relaxed, no worries about how will we get back because, well, we just couldn't.

The bad part was the chaos when flights resumed. Nobody knew anything and it took a few days after flights resumed before we were back home.