Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
TLspotting
Posts: 272
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by TLspotting » 09 Jun 2018, 15:28

I think the contract will be broken soon by Brussels Airlines...
I'm Thibault >
> Student
> Spotter at home (or outdoor,that's better) since 2016
> Instagram,Facebook and Twitter > @TLspotting

nordikcam
Posts: 758
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:22
Location: Uccle

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by nordikcam » 09 Jun 2018, 16:57

TLspotting wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 15:28
I think the contract will be broken soon by Brussels Airlines...
Hum...interesting and replaced by...?

DannyVDB
Posts: 810
Joined: 12 Aug 2003, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by DannyVDB » 09 Jun 2018, 16:58

Maybe, but what makes you think/say that?

What could replace the SSJ. Some routes are thin and can't sustain A319, some airports can't host them ...

So what would be the solution.

D

pitrixplanespotting
Posts: 309
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 18:11

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by pitrixplanespotting » 09 Jun 2018, 20:10

DannyVDB wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 16:58
Maybe, but what makes you think/say that?

What could replace the SSJ. Some routes are thin and can't sustain A319, some airports can't host them ...

So what would be the solution.

D
Embraer from Lufthansa, maybe CS100 from Swiss? :lol:

AIRMARSHAL
Posts: 37
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 19:22

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by AIRMARSHAL » 09 Jun 2018, 23:38

perhaps Cityjets' CRJ-900 series

convair
Posts: 1471
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by convair » 10 Jun 2018, 15:02

Toronto SN551 flight today operated with OO-SFC, one of the "newwest" SN aircraft. Its first revenue flight for SN, btw.

User avatar
CTBke
Posts: 900
Joined: 13 May 2003, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by CTBke » 10 Jun 2018, 15:45

convair wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 15:02
Toronto SN551 flight today operated with OO-SFC, one of the "newwest" SN aircraft. Its first revenue flight for SN, btw.
nice to see they put it into service straight away, note that the cabin is still ex Cathay Pacific
Citybird
The flying dream

User avatar
CTBke
Posts: 900
Joined: 13 May 2003, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by CTBke » 10 Jun 2018, 15:46

AIRMARSHAL wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 23:38
perhaps Cityjets' CRJ-900 series
aren't they 'exclusively' for SAS as they're in their uniform? only the reg tells you it's a cityjet plane (and the safety card)
Citybird
The flying dream

DannyVDB
Posts: 810
Joined: 12 Aug 2003, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by DannyVDB » 11 Jun 2018, 06:53

But LH has no spare aircraft; why would they give it some of them SN?

I think they will stick to the SSJ for the time being ... another solution will need more time.

Just my two cents

D

PS: BTW, I was on an CRJ900 yesterday and a lot less comfortable than the SSJ100 ...

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1164
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by Boeing767copilot » 11 Jun 2018, 08:42

In the meantime Cityjet to expand its fleet by up to seven CRJ-900s as part of a US$100 million deal to further expand its wet leasing operation, says executive chairman Pat Byrne.

The aircraft will be leased to Cityjet by part-owner and leasing company, Falko. The aircraft are currently undergoing maintenance and C-checks.

Two of the CRJs will be used by Cityjet as part of its current operation with SAS.

The Dublin-based airline is in talks with other major European carriers about similar operations.

Darjeeling
Posts: 191
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 10:13

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by Darjeeling » 12 Jun 2018, 14:25

The interior of OO-SFC is far from being a hard punishment:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7815191

Basically the regional products of Asian carriers is up the long-haul product standards of many European carriers. This one is much more attractive than what EW proposes on the A340s.

Now, I know it's not good for product consistency, but still better than some old interiors on (very) ageing birds like SFM, SFN...

User avatar
CTBke
Posts: 900
Joined: 13 May 2003, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by CTBke » 12 Jun 2018, 14:59

Darjeeling wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 14:25
The interior of OO-SFC is far from being a hard punishment:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7815191

Basically the regional products of Asian carriers is up the long-haul product standards of many European carriers. This one is much more attractive than what EW proposes on the A340s.

Now, I know it's not good for product consistency, but still better than some old interiors on (very) ageing birds like SFM, SFN...
EW's long haul product are the Business seats from Lufthansa ...and for a low fare airline a lot better than what you get on TUI or Norwegian
Citybird
The flying dream

theeuropean
Posts: 138
Joined: 22 Dec 2009, 17:35

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by theeuropean » 12 Jun 2018, 16:06

CityJet has had also many problems with SAS with many cancellations, it doesn’t seem it is just related to the Sukhoi Super Jets. Maybe it’s an organisational issue of the company. So SAS has no put on pressure on CityJet to up their game.

Here’s the article in Danish but behind a paywall:

https://www.check-in.dk/sas-maa-aflyse- ... lyvninger/

RTM
Posts: 353
Joined: 07 Apr 2013, 00:27

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by RTM » 12 Jun 2018, 16:10

Darjeeling wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 14:25
The interior of OO-SFC is far from being a hard punishment:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7815191

Basically the regional products of Asian carriers is up the long-haul product standards of many European carriers. This one is much more attractive than what EW proposes on the A340s.

Now, I know it's not good for product consistency, but still better than some old interiors on (very) ageing birds like SFM, SFN...
Please explain…

The current interiors on the LH SN fleet are less than 6 years old… Probably younger than the still factory interiors of the latest additions...

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1315
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by lumumba » 12 Jun 2018, 17:26

RTM wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 16:10
Darjeeling wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 14:25
The interior of OO-SFC is far from being a hard punishment:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7815191

Basically the regional products of Asian carriers is up the long-haul product standards of many European carriers. This one is much more attractive than what EW proposes on the A340s.

Now, I know it's not good for product consistency, but still better than some old interiors on (very) ageing birds like SFM, SFN...
Please explain…

The current interiors on the LH SN fleet are less than 6 years old… Probably younger than the still factory interiors of the latest additions...
I can not compare with the new one but in Y the interior of Singapore Airline (SFX) was cleaner than the Y in SN plane's....
I think that they changed the seats but not all the interior for example I was seated on 37A ( it was a 200)in my last flight and the carpet was loose on my feet it was dirty!

Normally they have to change every 5 years I tough like that?
I'm not sure the interior of SFX is older that 6 years!

Also the there is no humidity in the windows of SFX in the older SN plane's yes you can not look true the windows anymore....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

RTM
Posts: 353
Joined: 07 Apr 2013, 00:27

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by RTM » 13 Jun 2018, 07:29

lumumba wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 17:26
I can not compare with the new one but in Y the interior of Singapore Airline (SFX) was cleaner than the Y in SN plane's....
I think that they changed the seats but not all the interior for example I was seated on 37A ( it was a 200)in my last flight and the carpet was loose on my feet it was dirty!

Normally they have to change every 5 years I tough like that?
I'm not sure the interior of SFX is older that 6 years!

Also the there is no humidity in the windows of SFX in the older SN plane's yes you can not look true the windows anymore....
When SFX entered service, it was more or less ok with the old interior. And yes, it was old. But after a few months, it was a nightmare, no spare parts, no spare cushions and/or covers. At the end, before it got its SN interior, it was hiddious.

As for carpets, they are replaced regularly. But the abuse is immense. Impossible to keep clean.

There is no requirement other than operators choice to replace an interior. If maintained well, it can last forever. It just won't be competitive anymore. That's the clue.

As for condensation, could be. Lots of factors play a roll in that though… But I won't argue that with age the airco distribution system looses some of its efficiency in this particular aspect.

Darjeeling
Posts: 191
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 10:13

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by Darjeeling » 13 Jun 2018, 09:51

Fact is a 9 years old airplane will always (most likely) look better than a 25 years old one.

There is retrofit and retrofit. When SN says it retrofits a plane it's minimalist to say the least. The last years (2005-2006 / 2012-2013) it was only removing old seats for new ones, almost the same lavatories, the same side paneling, the same old luggage bins, same lighting system, same galleys, no attention for the windows states except when damages were detected... yes indeed sometimes floor carpets were replaced.

Hence the fresh feel you could have when SFX was introduced. Everyone knows how SQ use to maintain its airplanes.

User avatar
KriVa
Posts: 1156
Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 20:15
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by KriVa » 13 Jun 2018, 13:09

I have personally seen, and even done part of, a retrofit of an Airbus at Brussels Airlines. I can tell you that a lot more work goes into it than simply the same old stuff vacuum cleaned.
Thomas

RTM
Posts: 353
Joined: 07 Apr 2013, 00:27

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by RTM » 14 Jun 2018, 07:42

Darjeeling wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:51
Fact is a 9 years old airplane will always (most likely) look better than a 25 years old one.

There is retrofit and retrofit. When SN says it retrofits a plane it's minimalist to say the least. The last years (2005-2006 / 2012-2013) it was only removing old seats for new ones, almost the same lavatories, the same side paneling, the same old luggage bins, same lighting system, same galleys, no attention for the windows states except when damages were detected... yes indeed sometimes floor carpets were replaced.

Hence the fresh feel you could have when SFX was introduced. Everyone knows how SQ use to maintain its airplanes.
I don't think you have a clue of the amount of work carried out, aside from the cost.
To point one thing out, carpets are replaced several times per year… The aisle carpets even several times more than that…. But the cabin interior is by far the most abused system on an aircraft. It does suffer a lot. Did you actually see that "pristine" SQ interior on SFX right before it went for its long awaited retrofit? Shocking! And that was just wear and tear of one season...

Darjeeling
Posts: 191
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 10:13

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by Darjeeling » 14 Jun 2018, 12:06

:arrow: I don't want to minimize the work carried out when a retrofit is completed at SN (SN mechanics are amongst the best when it comes to line maintenance), but it's a fact that their retrofits are not always up the details. Look at how Delta retrofits its 767 for example. Some even feature the Boeing Signature interior. Which means a REAL new cabin. Moreover retrofits were often carried out in Malta by Lufthansa Technik IIRC.

As for SFX, it was SN managers choice to have it flown without having spare parts / upholstery / IFE parts to maintain the interior properly. SFX arrived in a very good state for an 8 years old cabin, and once again it was SN's choice to fly it like that knowing that SQ was willing to sell spare parts for the cabin, IFE... (of course we leave here the "dat moet niks kosten" policy...). Many airlines phase in "new" second hand airplanes straight with a new cabin to avoid any inconsistency in the product... timing permitting of course. ;)

Post Reply