Air Belgium in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Air Belgium in 2018

Post by sn26567 »

Welcome to Aviation24.be, Zax!
André
ex Sabena #26567

pitrixplanespotting

Post by pitrixplanespotting »

Zax wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 04:19 Hi there was 244 passengers as i heard and most of them Asians as i saw !
That is looking good :D

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

pitrixplanespotting wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 11:33
Zax wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 04:19 Hi there was 244 passengers as i heard and most of them Asians as i saw !
That is looking good :D
Looks like U-Tour & AB partnership is doing well...
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TV reporters are busy with ABB at Charleroi, probably due to the arrival of Sabena Aerospace at CRL.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TLspotting wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 13:33 TV reporters are busy with ABB at Charleroi, probably due to the arrival of Sabena Aerospace at CRL.
Extended article on Sabena Aerospace investment at CRL:
https://www.aviation24.be/airports/bruss ... n-airport/
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 15:08
TLspotting wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 13:33 TV reporters are busy with ABB at Charleroi, probably due to the arrival of Sabena Aerospace at CRL.
Extended article on Sabena Aerospace investment at CRL:
https://www.aviation24.be/airports/bruss ... n-airport/
I also got the press release, mentioning the arrival of OOABD in September.

Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi everyone !

I am currently working on a paper about Air Belgium.
This company defines itself as a "low fares company" and wishes not to be called "low cost".
Now, I have a hard time figuring out what the genuine differences are between a "low cost" company
and a "low fare" company. I cannot find any information on the net.

Could anyone of you explain the difference or maybe send a link to an article explaining the difference ?

Thank you so much !

An

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hello An/Anne, welcome to Aviation24.be.

I suggest you ask your question directly to the CEO Niky Terzakis. He is quite responsive. You might contact him on Twitter @NTerzakis or @AirBelgium_off .
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

copy/paste from my post in the topic "Brussels Airlines in 2018":
Passenger wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:03 Cathay Pacific has signed a codeshare agreement with Brussels Airlines for seven destinations: Berlin Tegel, Hamburg, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Oslo and Prague.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... codeshare/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Passenger wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:12 copy/paste from my post in the topic "Brussels Airlines in 2018":
Passenger wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:03 Cathay Pacific has signed a codeshare agreement with Brussels Airlines for seven destinations: Berlin Tegel, Hamburg, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Oslo and Prague.
Ryanair doesn't fly to these airports except Prague via Charleroi... So there's a risk although Ryanair goes to other destinations....

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

TLspotting wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:22
Passenger wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:12 copy/paste from my post in the topic "Brussels Airlines in 2018":
Ryanair doesn't fly to these airports except Prague via Charleroi... So there's a risk although Ryanair goes to other destinations....
Yes, but with a code sharing flight CX-SN, the luggage is automaticly transferred. And code sharing means it's in one booking, thus one airline taking up responsability (or at least assisting the passengers) when something goes wrong. With Ryanair + Air Belgium, it's gonna be two separate bookings.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Anne wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 20:06 Hi everyone !
I am currently working on a paper about Air Belgium. This company defines itself as a "low fares company" and wishes not to be called "low cost". Now, I have a hard time figuring out what the genuine differences are between a "low cost" company and a "low fare" company. I cannot find any information on the net.
Could anyone of you explain the difference or maybe send a link to an article explaining the difference ?
Thank you so much !An
Hi An,

Low budget… Low cost… Low fares… No-frills… They’re just commercial concepts. There is no legal definition for them: they’re airlines. Wikipedia’s definition seems quite correct to me: “…a low-cost carrier or low-cost airline (also known as a no-frills, discount or budget carrier or airline) is an airline that offers generally low fares in exchange for eliminating many traditional passenger services…”

When Air Belgium says “we are a low fare airline”, they only refer to their… fares. If one compares their 449 € fare for HKG versus those from Cathay, KLM or others, they are probably the cheapest indeed (though that offer seems to end in September). Same applies for their Businessclass fare.

A the same time, Air Belgium hates / will not use “low cost” and/or "low budget" because such description generates ugly thaughts with most passengers: no leg room, no free meals & drinks, no free luggage allowance, penalties for changes, surcharge for airport check-in, penalties if you show up one minute too late, …

It’s risky for a legacy carrier to assume that passengers will make a difference between a “low fares airline” and a “low cost airline”. So let me adjust your and mine above quote "Air Belgium says they are a low fares airline”. Actually, they do not. They only say that they apply low fares. So they use “low fares”, but not “low fares airline”:
https://www.airbelgium.com/en/about-us#low-fares

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

AB will still fly for AF until 31 August 2018 between Paris CDG and Lagos.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

ABA expected at Charleroi coming from Bordeaux after maintenance.

Expected at 14:40L.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 10:47 ABA expected at Charleroi coming from Bordeaux after maintenance.

Expected at 14:40L.
16:20*

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Landed at EBCI at about 1520z.
Thomas

Anne

Post by Anne »

Passenger wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 19:00
Anne wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 20:06 Hi everyone !
I am currently working on a paper about Air Belgium. This company defines itself as a "low fares company" and wishes not to be called "low cost". Now, I have a hard time figuring out what the genuine differences are between a "low cost" company and a "low fare" company. I cannot find any information on the net.
Thank you so much !An
Hi An,

Low budget… Low cost… Low fares… No-frills… They’re just commercial concepts. There is no legal definition for them: they’re airlines. Wikipedia’s definition seems quite correct to me: “…a low-cost carrier or low-cost airline (also known as a no-frills, discount or budget carrier or airline) is an airline that offers generally low fares in exchange for eliminating many traditional passenger services…”

When Air Belgium says “we are a low fare airline”, they only refer to their… fares. If one compares their 449 € fare for HKG versus those from Cathay, KLM or others, they are probably the cheapest indeed (though that offer seems to end in September). Same applies for their Businessclass fare.

A the same time, Air Belgium hates / will not use “low cost” and/or "low budget" because such description generates ugly thaughts with most passengers: no leg room, no free meals & drinks, no free luggage allowance, penalties for changes, surcharge for airport check-in, penalties if you show up one minute too late, …

It’s risky for a legacy carrier to assume that passengers will make a difference between a “low fares airline” and a “low cost airline”. So let me adjust your and mine above quote "Air Belgium says they are a low fares airline”. Actually, they do not. They only say that they apply low fares. So they use “low fares”, but not “low fares airline”:
https://www.airbelgium.com/en/about-us#low-fares
Thank you for the explanation !

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Today's Air France AF-104 Paris-Lagos, supposed to be operated by OO-ABE, has been cancelled. ETD out of CDG was 14h10 local.

Return flight AF-149 LOS-CDG is cancelled too. ETD for that one was 23h00 local tonight.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 14:50 Today's Air France AF-104 Paris-Lagos, supposed to be operated by OO-ABE, has been cancelled. ETD out of CDG was 14h10 local.

Return flight AF-149 LOS-CDG is cancelled too. ETD for that one was 23h00 local tonight.
OO-ABA just positionned from CRL to CDG, probably to do AF-104 Paris-Lagos later today (ETD 14h10 local):
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... a#1d2f0f20

Both FR24 and Planefinder say that OO-ABE is still at CDG too.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

ABE is AOG, due to an incident yesterday !