The CityJet Sukhoi SSJ100-95 saga is hurting Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Sukhoi Superjet SSJ100 news

Post by Passenger »

Poiu wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 16:33 You misunderstood. the question was why don’t Brussels Airlines wetlease some 320/737 to avoid all the cancellations they have at the moment.
Because that would far more loss-making then the ongoing Cityjet thing, including cancellations. Remember the SSJ-100-95 is a 95-seater, and they can't sell more seats then they're doing now.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Passenger wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 16:48
Poiu wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 16:33 You misunderstood. the question was why don’t Brussels Airlines wetlease some 320/737 to avoid all the cancellations they have at the moment.
Because that would far more loss-making then the ongoing Cityjet thing, including cancellations. Remember the SSJ-100-95 is a 95-seater, and they can't sell more seats then they're doing now.
For EU261 and rerouting cost you can lease an aircraft, even if you only need 95 of 150 available seats.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Good luck finding several A320's or even worse A319's now on such short notice on a FULL TIME basis (not just a few flights per week) without paying a fortune which is many times higher than rebookings costs etc (if it would be long haul, it would be something else because there those costs are many times higher). Rather SN took the decision to precautionary remove several SSJ flights from the schedule for June/July/August. Of course those for June happened on very short notice with major impact on many customers, however for the other flights weeks and months in advance it's easier to re accommodate those customers.
Of course SN knows this is not a solution for the actual problem and CityJet will for sure regret that they didn't ensure sufficient back-up in their capacity planning (also in their operations for SAS) as I assume there will be very hefty fines to be paid by them. On the longer term for sure SN will re-evaluate their wet-lease operations. Mind that the initial term of the CityJet contract was just 2 years anyway. And as has been said by others here, BMA will rather sooner than later become an A319 route anyway.

Coronado

Post by Coronado »

Embraer E-jets ???

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

What is ‘BMA’??

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

saratoga wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 21:21 What is ‘BMA’??
Airport code for Stockholm Bromma, the small airport just next to the city.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Airport code for Stockholm Bromma
Make that "IATA code" and I'll be glad to agree - in ICAO coding it is ESSB. And sorry for the nitpicking but I must spread my annoyance :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 21:27
Airport code for Stockholm Bromma
Make that "IATA code" and I'll be glad to agree - in ICAO coding it is ESSB. And sorry for the nitpicking but I must spread my annoyance :)
A three-letter code for an airport can only be the IATA-code, hence no need to add "IATA" to a three letter airport code. A four-letter code for an airport can only be the ICAO-code, hence no need to add "ICAO" to a four digit airport code.

Hence: BMA is the airport code for Bromma. And ESSB is also airport code for Bromma. But because BMA is shown in booking engines, on Flightradar24.com, Planefinder.net, on passengers' tickets, etc., the use of BMA as abbreviation is customer-friendlier then ESSB.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Indeed in the world of travel agents and passengers the IATA code is more familiar (that is when you sorted out that YQM is Moncton, and that you know which is the best for you as Buenos Aires between EZE and AEP or GRU, CGH and VCP for Sao Paulo).
And in another world, equally respectable, a flight plan will refer to the ICAO code.

So the pilot will fly to ESSB and the passengers on the same aircraft are going to BMA.
And at the arrival airport, the screens will (generally) display flight SN1234 while others' documents will show BEL1234.

Personally I tend to use the ICAO code when I refer to the infrastructure facilities, aka the Aerodrome in ICAO parlance, in its operational aspects, and the IATA code for the travel aspect.
The advantage of the ICAO code is to be officially published by ICAO following a geographical location logic (Northern Europe = Exxx, Southern Europe = Lxxx, ...) rather easy to decipher.

Also, the vast majority of the Aerodromes in the world do not have regular scheduled flights for commercial transport, hence only an ICAO Code.

If a nitpicking contest is open on the subject, I will not fail to participate with the following :
The ICAO "Code" is actually called a "Location Indicator" because it may be assigned not only to an Aeronautical Fixed Station (AD) but also to communication stations.
And in some areas, the sheer number of Aerodromes is so large that the alphabet is not sufficient so some states (e.g. Canada) will use a national identifier, based on the same 4-character format, but mixing letters with numerals. TC-LID, Transport Canada Location Identifier.

Meet Fox Lake, aka CEC3, in Northern Alberta.
CEC3 Fox Lake.JPG

H.A.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

I am happy with either IATA or ICAO codes but what turns me mildly mad is the abuse of "IA" for "International Airport" in defining an airport such as "KIA" for Kilimanjaro, Kuwait or Kotoka "International Airport".

Next in line of confusion is the mundane reference to an airport by the name of a person.
Very often found in Brazil or Argentina for example but my favourite :mrgreen: is in Saudi Arabia :

King Abdulaziz International Airport, for OEJN-JED Jeddah.
King Abdulaziz Air Base, for OEDR-DHA Dhahran.
Prince Mohammad Bin Abdulaziz International Airport, for OEMA-MED Madinah.
Prince Abdul Mohsin bin Abdulaziz International Airport, for OEYN-YNB Yanbu.

Well at least in our little paradise we made it simple by referring to our main airport as Brussels Airport,
or Brussels-National,
or Zaventem,
or Charleroi North (seen from Beijing South aka Hong-Kong),
or Hasselt-West,

H.A.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

By the way KBTIA - Knokke Beach Temporary International Airport - remains closed today, for STOL's and SSJ-100's:
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/an ... ~a61975e5/

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Sorry but...the subject of this sequence is the SSJ100 and not the IATA or ICAO codes or should I say the disaster of the SN'SSJ fleet...Thx a lot.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

nordikcam wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:09 Sorry but...the subject of this sequence is the SSJ100 and not the IATA or ICAO codes or should I say the disaster of the SN'SSJ fleet...Thx a lot.
Compared to some other things/events that happened in Belgian aviation the last weeks and months, this CityJet SSJ-100 story is no "disaster". Sure, it's extremely unpleasant and extremely unconvenient for the passengers involved. And I'm one of them: I had a SN-flight on a SSJ-100 delayed by 1,5 hours, and a collegue on the same routing, next flight, had to be rerouted.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Humm...not only delay ! Unconvenient for sure and unpleasant for sure !

January YYZ with SN cancelled
January CMN with AF operated
February LYS with AF operated
February LAX with AF operated
March YYZ with SN cancelled
March YVR with AF operated
March HAV with AF operated
March BOD with KL operated
April JFK with AF operated
April BCN with KL operated
May NTE with SN cancelled
May HAV with AF operated
June MXP with KL operated
June NTE with SN cancelled
June FLR with KL to come next week...I know : the lack of luck at SN is compensated by a lot of luck at AF those moments ... I passed between all the drops of the strikes...but I guess too " a big disaster " !

All reroutings via FRA / MUC / YUL
AF / KL customer service: especially good when the problem is at KLM. Very windy unfortunately at SN where many reminders are needed! ( Yes KL cancelled a HAV too last year after hurricane Irma )

My religion is made. I am a passenger who will not come back ... but it is not more serious than that, I am able to relativize ...:-)

b.lufthansa

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by b.lufthansa »

On the 19th of May EI-FWD broke down at Zadar Airport and was ferried to its base in Venice six days later. The aircraft seems to be in repair until the 18th of June, ferried back to Brussels to operate SN2049 to Birmingham (18/06/2018) and has now been grounded at Birmingham since then.
Attachments
EI-FWD AOG Birmingham.png

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Hope that LH decides that Sukhoi is definitely a joke of bad taste!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

nordikcam wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 10:58 Hope that LH decides that Sukhoi is definitely a joke of bad taste!
That conclusion/decision has already been taken weeeeks ago.

Flying Scout wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 11:51 I do hope SN keeps them a bit longer. I'm due to fly on one from Brussels to Basel later this year. Should be a new manufacturer to me :)
I only flew twice on it, but it's a nice aircraft indeed. Quite silent, good individual airco blowers, plenty of leg room, plenty of overhead luggage storage, ...

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Flying Scout wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 11:51 I do hope SN keeps them a bit longer. I'm due to fly on one from Brussels to Basel later this year. Should be a new manufacturer to me :)
either way it could be an Airbus instead ;)
Citybird
The flying dream

cathay belgium

Re: Sukhoi (EI-FWD), operating for Brussels Airlines stuck on runway 25R and forced to be towed to its stand

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

I checked my upcoming flights and notices ...
BMA with A319 now and BHX with SSJ,...
Guess the knowledge of SSJ is there now !

Surprises ...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

CTBke

Re: Sukhoi (EI-FWD), operating for Brussels Airlines stuck on runway 25R and forced to be towed to its stand

Post by CTBke »

BMA will be a test on 06/07 and if it's good they'll use it with the 319 ;)
Citybird
The flying dream