Chaos and long queues at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Chaos and long queues at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote: 03 May 2017, 12:38 Strong reaction of KLM towards Schiphol indeed:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/klm-roy ... irst-step/

The most striking sentence: "KLM calls on the Schiphol Board of Directors to take adequate action in due course. Both on the supply side (volume policy) and in terms of capacity (timely investing in piers, gates and security instead of shops and hotels)."
KLM wants Schiphol to come up with concrete solutions next week to prevent safety checks to recede during peak days in summer holidays, as happened in the May holidays. That's what the airline's topman Pieter Elbers said to the ANP press agency on Thursday.

The deployment of additional personnel announced earlier this week by Schiphol is, according to Elbers, only a first step. "The summer holiday is coming, the volumes are even higher," said the KLM boss.

According to him, there are many more bottlenecks that need to be tackled before that period, from luggage handling to availability of adequate aircraft deployment facilities.

KLM is discussing the situation next week with Schiphol and State Secretary Sharon Dijksma (Infrastructure). Elbers has high expectations for that conversation, though it is primarily because Schiphol has not listened to the warnings of its main customer. All of the problems mentioned have already been addressed at the airport much earlier.

"The consequences are bad for us, for our passengers and for the reputation of the Netherlands abroad," said Elbers. "For example, in China, Schiphol is often mentioned as an example of how an aviation hub should work. But let's see what's being said on social media about us."

The long queues cost KLM a few millions, the company already told Wednesday. Every day, dozens of people had to be rebooked because they had missed their flight. In addition, passengers with a delay of three hours or more will be entitled to compensation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If the queues on departures were somewhat smaller today, the problem moved to the arrivals, where people queued for up to two hours to clear passport control!

This was the queue on departures, at the baggage drop:

Schiphol used to be one of the best airports in Europe...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Did they fix that issue ?
I consider using AMS with KLM in April (probably busy due to holiday too), should I be there more than 2h before the flight ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

In '16 I flew from AMS. Never again! The airport is too small for the amount of pax it has to handle.

I choose BRU, anytime.

I don't want to compare apples and oranges, but EIN is a good option as well. Lovely airport imho... But only for holidays...

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Yes they have the luxury issue of having too much pax, but dutch character tend to reject anything else than perfect so I bet they are working on it to fix it.
I just wanted to know if they did already ;)
I'll fly KLM long haul, it's not the worse combination I guess
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Acid-drop wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:24 Did they fix that issue ?
I consider using AMS with KLM in April (probably busy due to holiday too), should I be there more than 2h before the flight ?
In my experience as regular AMS user 2 hour should be fine (it was in september and december). They've opened a temporary departure hall april last year to easy the biggest issue. Though 40 minutes as was still possible a few years might be to tight these days.

Next year the new pier will be finished.