Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by sean1982 »

Current queue in departures to go through passport control: standing here for 1 hour now, almost half way through the queue :roll:

Automatic gates ..... closed :evil: :o

sean1982

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by sean1982 »

And again Brussels Airport reacts on twitter with: it’s not our fault. Controls are being done by federal police.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 11:25 And again Brussels Airport reacts on twitter with: it’s not our fault. Controls are being done by federal police.
Than you should tweet to FedPol and not to BRU. ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:03
sean1982 wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 11:25 And again Brussels Airport reacts on twitter with: it’s not our fault. Controls are being done by federal police.
To be fair, just sliding the problem onto the police is firstly arrogant and secondly, when it is such a vital part of the airport experience a sign that BRU couldn't care less about it's customers when they are not willing to address the problems

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sean1982 wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:23 To be fair, just sliding the problem onto the police is firstly arrogant and secondly, when it is such a vital part of the airport experience a sign that BRU couldn't care less about it's customers when they are not willing to address the problems
If you have the solution, I propose that you present it to them, if you actually think it's just BAC being stupid or unwilling to solve this (at times) big issue.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

sean1982 wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:23
To be fair, just sliding the problem onto the police is firstly arrogant and secondly, when it is such a vital part of the airport experience a sign that BRU couldn't care less about it's customers when they are not willing to address the problems
Exactly and its been like that for months now...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Shengenzone wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:28
I'm totally agree with this.....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

lumumba wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 19:39

It is the duty and obligation of the Management of the VERY EXPENSIVE BRU Airport to find a solution for this.

Indeed it is arrogant and coward to simply say 'not our problem, its the Police '

Weak management .

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

JOVAN wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 21:40

It is the duty and obligation of the Management of the VERY EXPENSIVE BRU Airport to find a solution for this.

Indeed it is arrogant and coward to simply say 'not our problem, its the Police '

Weak management .
As long as FedPol/Ministry of Interior Affairs don't solve their staffing issues and software issues keep poping up at their side resulting in the system outages of the ABC gates (which are only partly owned and controlled by BAC for a matter of fact and the problem is not the hardware for which they are responsible), strong or weak management will not help. Or do you think that because they're not making a public fight out of it, that they are not putting pressure. They don't do anything else, but it's a very tough uphill fight. The current requirements to have a more strict control of everyone entering and leaving the Schengen zone made things significantly worse, but that's a problem that tens of airports/seaports/... are now experiencing.

It's not like ware talking here about security screening which is slow or the automated boarding pass control (which at times has a software issue that it slows down at times of very high throughput rates, creating queues at a process which should be the quickest of all), that are problems BAC has to takkle. Border control is almost completely out of their power except for foreseeing the basic infrastructure (but there are limits to that as well, you can build 20 additional units for a FedPol agent, but they'll remain empty anyhow) and attempting to persuade the involved authorities. Also airlines are continiously involved there: lobbying at the involved authorities (because BAC can't solve this issue by itself, it simply doesn't have the authority to do so).

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

RoMax wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 22:24
JOVAN wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 21:40

Weak management .
As long as FedPol/Ministry of Interior Affairs don't solve their staffing issues and software issues keep poping up at their side resulting in the system outages of the ABC gates (which are only partly owned and controlled by BAC for a matter of fact and the problem is not the hardware for which they are responsible), strong or weak management will not help. Or do you think that because they're not making a public fight out of it, that they are not putting pressure. They don't do anything else, but it's a very tough uphill fight. The current requirements to have a more strict control of everyone entering and leaving the Schengen zone made things significantly worse, but that's a problem that tens of airports/seaports/... are now experiencing.

It's not like ware talking here about security screening which is slow or the automated boarding pass control (which at times has a software issue that it slows down at times of very high throughput rates, creating queues at a process which should be the quickest of all), that are problems BAC has to takkle. Border control is almost completely out of their power except for foreseeing the basic infrastructure (but there are limits to that as well, you can build 20 additional units for a FedPol agent, but they'll remain empty anyhow) and attempting to persuade the involved authorities. Also airlines are continiously involved there: lobbying at the involved authorities (because BAC can't solve this issue by itself, it simply doesn't have the authority to do so).

Weak management, as I said.
Just watching..
Not really caring for their customers, the PAX, paying high airport taxes , etc.
A shame.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

JOVAN wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 22:47 Weak management, as I said.
Just watching..
Not really caring for their customers, the PAX, paying high airport taxes , etc.
A shame.
Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

RoMax wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 23:06
JOVAN wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 22:47 Weak management, as I said.
Just watching..
A shame.
Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about.
Seriously, I travel a lot.
Few airports where passport control is so poorly organized as in BRU.
Actually, I never take the direct TG, QR or other flights that arrive in Pier B.

More comfortable and smooth to enter EU via VIE or even Zurich.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

JOVAN wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 00:03 Seriously, I travel a lot.
Few airports where passport control is so poorly organized as in BRU.
Actually, I never take the direct TG, QR or other flights that arrive in Pier B.

More comfortable and smooth to enter EU via VIE or even Zurich.
Yes passport control at BRU is far from a great experience at times, but you fail to understand where the power of the airport starts/ends when it comes to border control.

Even if you argue that BRU is a very expensive airport (which btw very much depends on what you look at in terms of type of charges, because compared to similar European airports they are not exceptionally expensive at all, on some aeronautical charges BRU is even one of the cheaper 'medium sized hubs' in Europe) and only looks at their profits at the cost of passenger experience, do you honestly think they don't realise this is bad for their business. And not just in terms of experience, but has a direct impact on their bottom line as some pax might avoid BRU because of this and secondly all the departing pax stuck in the queue at passport control are not spending any money in the airport shops/bars/restaurants (a zone in which they just invested tens of millions with the whole renovation of the Gallery of Light and the integration zones with Connector). So even if you consider BAC here as 'the bad guy' it's just bullshit that they don't care about the regularly failing passport control process and even worse that they don't try to do something about it. But once again, they authority in solving this issue is simply extremely limited.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

All the discussion about who is right or not is insignificant...or who is responsibility it is also...if somebody here is involved in this maybe he can give a right answer.
But the answer they give is unacceptable.

I'm curious about how Brussels Airport is doing in terms of passengers survey compare to others.

That's a good question,can we find this somewhere?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:53 All the discussion about who is right or not is insignificant...or who is responsibility it is also...
Euh... That's the main issue here! Border control and Customs are executed by the State, not by the Airport company.
lumumba wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:53 But the answer they give is unacceptable.
Even if the answer that Brussels Airport has given, is exactly as quoted by the Luchtzak-member = "it’s not our fault. Controls are being done by federal police", then what is wrong with that? Is it their fault? No. Are controls done by federal police? Yes.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Ok I don't want to argue more...but is it possible to have a survey of passengers of Brussels Airport compare to others....?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 10:44 ...but is it possible to have a survey of passengers of Brussels Airport compare to others....?
There are a few, but all Belgian airports have too little reviews to accept their result as firm. The "error margin" that is used for surveys and opinion polls is too big when you have 21 mio passengers and only 141 reviews.
http://www.airlinequality.com/review-pa ... t-reviews/

BRUflyer

Post by BRUflyer »

There’s nothing much Brussels airport can do about the staffing problems at the police, but everytime I pass through connector to the border control I’m amazed at how badly the border control has been built. Inefficient signage and the whole queuing system is a big mess, way too small, with a wall in the middle of the queue! Arrivals has always been a disaster and even more now they moved the cubicles back and make the passengers stand on a slope. Which genius came up with that? I always feel that Brussels airport is a lot “willen maar niet kunnen”.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

It's a shame for Bru and incidentally for SN long haul ! 20 long haul a year and I avoid the pier B except obligation! The ideal ... the train for going to CDG and KLM for flight back to the European territory via AMS. ZRH is very smooth too ... Recently, following the hurricane IRMA, KLM flight canceled and transatlantic transfer via AZ and FCO. Good experience and arrival super fluid!
I use SN and BRU Pier A for Schenghen flights only.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

One of the reason they close the electronic passport control so early it's because it's to expensive to put 2 more police men!!!!
I'm sure here Brussels Airport can find a solution to spend more money and to improve there services but they just do nothing....
I'm sure it like that for the other problems has well......