Sep 2017 Hurricanes in the Caribbean (with last moments webcam Maho Beach)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stratofreighter

Sep 2017 Hurricanes in the Caribbean (with last moments webcam Maho Beach)

Post by stratofreighter »

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/
Hurricane Irma has taken us OFFLINE. Last video below. Updates on Twitter and Facebook as we learn more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5qYrboTUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUzmRxRRnHM

quixoticguide

Re: 06sep2017 Hurricane at Sint Maarten Airport. Video last moments webcam Maho Beach...

Post by quixoticguide »

That's much more wind then a 747 take off !!!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Apuneger

Re: 06sep2017 Hurricane at Sint Maarten Airport. Video last moments webcam Maho Beach...

Post by Apuneger »

On top of that, I will be visiting Sint-Maarten in December 2017. At first I was very excited, but now I'm not sure if I should be thrilled or worried. Anyway, I do hope that there are no fatalities and that the island will recover soon. If I can help during my visit, I'm more than willing...

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Apuneger wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 22:29
On top of that, I will be visiting Sint-Maarten in December 2017. At first I was very excited, but now I'm not sure if I should be thrilled or worried. Anyway, I do hope that there are no fatalities and that the island will recover soon. If I can help during my visit, I'm more than willing...

Best regards,
Ivan
Hurricane season will be over in November
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

I know, but recovery and reconstruction season probably not... :(

Best regards,
Ivan
---

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Update: it appears the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort was severely damaged by Hurricane Irma. As a result they have announced to cancel all reservations until the end of 2017. This means it's very likely I will have to cancel my whole trip to SXM :(

I really hope to get back to the island in 2018.

Best regards,
Ivan
---

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Apuneger wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 12:35 Update: it appears the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort was severely damaged by Hurricane Irma. As a result they have announced to cancel all reservations until the end of 2017. This means it's very likely I will have to cancel my whole trip to SXM :(

I really hope to get back to the island in 2018.

Best regards,
Ivan
You might be offered another hotel but not sure how the status is of the other hotels at the island. Regarding Sonesta Maho Beach I doubt there's any chance they'll be up and running before the end of the year, I even doubt they'll be up and running before the next summer season. There are some pictures floating around of the hotel and parts of the hotel are virtually completely destroyed and probably in need of a demolishment before they can rebuild, some parts have just a steel structure left.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Sint Maarten Airport (SXM / TNCM) is closed. Dutch army forces, stationned in nearby Curaçao and Aruba, are being transported to SXM to move the debris from the runway and, if necessary, to repair the damage to the runway. Once that is done, an airbridge will be set up for assistance flights.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Very sad but let's think about people who have lost there lives, homes, ...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 17:15 Very sad but let's think about people who have lost there lives, homes, ...
First reports are 8 fatalities, but communication with / on Sint-Maarten is completely down.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The first aircraft – a coastguard Dash 8- has landed at Princess Juliana Sint Maarten airport after the devastating hurricane Irma, naval commander Peter Jan de Vin tweeted. They are working as fast as they can to get as much as possible done before hurricane Jose is expected to hit tomorrow (Saturday). A Dutch navy ship unloaded emergency supplies while a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines cargo aircraft will send 60 tonnes of supplies including generators, solar panels and canvas to mend roofs. The Dutch airline made the plane available to the Red Cross free of charge.

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/hu ... t-maarten/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 11:50 The first aircraft – a coastguard Dash 8- has landed at Princess Juliana Sint Maarten airport after the devastating hurricane Irma, naval commander Peter Jan de Vin tweeted. They are working as fast as they can to get as much as possible done before hurricane Jose is expected to hit tomorrow (Saturday). A Dutch navy ship unloaded emergency supplies while a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines cargo aircraft will send 60 tonnes of supplies including generators, solar panels and canvas to mend roofs. The Dutch airline made the plane available to the Red Cross free of charge.
https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/hu ... t-maarten/
Excellent news indeed. Dutch Navy commander De Vin yesterday evening said the Netherlands had three priorities: re-open the airport for military aircraft and rescue deliveries, re-open the harbour, and fix the drinking water problem.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Last Wednesday (6 September) two JetBlue aircraft and one American Airlines flight tried to approach San Juan airport but turned back. Yet Delta Air Lines DL431 from New York JFK to the Puerto Rican airport successfully landed and took off again while hurricane Irma was fast-approaching! Aviation journalist Jason Rabinowitz tweeted the entire story, impressive!

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/delta-a ... proaching/

tangolima

Re: Sep 2017 Hurricanes in the Caribbean (with last moments webcam Maho Beach)

Post by tangolima »

Hello

The Netherlands have send 3 aircraft to Curacao in order to help the people in Sint-Maarten
2x C130 + 1x KDC10 have left Eindhoven Air Base towards the Carribean.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

FLYAIR10

Re: Sep 2017 Hurricanes in the Caribbean (with last moments webcam Maho Beach)

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Also a C-17 of the Multinational Heavy Airlift Wing (stationed on Papa-airbase,Hungary) flew supplies from Eindhoven AB to Curacao.
Arrived in the meantime.
Dutch C-130 will evacuate patients from the Sint-Maarten hospital today. 1 patient(Dyalise) already evacuated by Coast guard Dash-8.
Dutch navy NH-90 heli is shuttling between patrol-vessel Zeeland and Sint-Maarten hospital,air^port,etc..