Flag "discussion": interesting article with explanation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bralo20

Flag "discussion": interesting article with explanation

Post by Bralo20 »

Some of us, me included :mrgreen: made some fuss about the wrongful display of the Belgian flag on Air Belgium's planes. While there is -unfortunately- no regulation in Belgium which prevents such errors, other countries may have such regulation, including the USA.

On the website "thepointsguy" there's now an article with the reasoning behind the display of the flag. Interesting reading material IMHO.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/planes-di ... backwards/

:mrgreen:

Acid-drop

Re: Flag "discussion": interesting article with explanation

Post by Acid-drop »

That's it then. Air belgium was so ahead of everyone !

Last edited by Acid-drop on 28 May 2018, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Bulderlach! Well done, @Acid-drop!

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Have you ever noticed the American flag painted on the side of the airplane as you were boarding? Perhaps it stopped you in your tracks and made you think, “Why is the flag backwards?”
Never wasted a thought on this - because I never boarded an US-registered airplane from the right side... :lol: On the left side, the flag is painted "the right way".
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

And, if I may make so bold, why this obsession with flags? To me that is 19th century thinking. In the 20th century, the USAF marked their bomber planes with sexy women - who look equally good (or bad) in either direction. In the 21st century, SNBA mark some of their planes with purpose-designed references to Belgian culture - again looking good either way. Why make things so complicated, in an era where every dime of cost must be accounted for? AWAY with those flags! Too expensive, insufficiently relevant!

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 May 2018, 13:47 And, if I may make so bold, why this obsession with flags? To me that is 19th century thinking. In the 20th century, the USAF marked their bomber planes with sexy women - who look equally good (or bad) in either direction. In the 21st century, SNBA mark some of their planes with purpose-designed references to Belgian culture - again looking good either way. Why make things so complicated, in an era where every dime of cost must be accounted for? AWAY with those flags! Too expensive, insufficiently relevant!
So you want to take away the favorite "toy" of all those who like to rant and whine around about Air Belgium's livery? ;)
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)