Air Belgium in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

FLYAIR10

Re: Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Just like spring 2017 turned into summer 2017 etc... And they still don't have the planes, they still haven't an AOC, they don't have slots, they don't have ... virtually the only thing they have is some people on their payroll for over a year now. Fortunately for them, there's currently unlimited cash in China so they seem to be fine on that front.
Didn't they have a campaign in Hong Kong to enroll Cabin crew members? How are these kept busy? being offered to some other compnaies on interim basis maybe?
Also for the administrative HQ staff it must be long days , and weeks, months, now...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

They also have a famous Belgian designer working on their uniforms!
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM

Post by SLM »

You can buy scale models of the airbus 340 Air Belgium at www.aviationmegastore.com, they look very beautiful.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

First batch of cabin crew finished conversion training.
Attachments
kkkk.PNG

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

How are they going to do practical training when they have no plane to train?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Yuqu12 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 17:44 How are they going to do practical training when they have no plane to train?
You don’t need an airplane for practical training. A door trainer and mock up will do

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

A BBQ food truck for the fire drill and a dip in lac de l'eau d'heure for the wet...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

As said by Sean1982, they need a door of a A330/A340 and a mock up. Both can be found in Charleroi at the WAN (Wallonie Aerotraining Network), for the fire training there are external companies having a cabin mockup on a truck, for the wet drill, the is in Meise a swimming pool with everything, lifejackets, raft etc... No need of an airplane for those trainings.

However to get their qualification, they will need to make training flight and this will be more complicated.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

crew1990 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 11:38 As said by Sean1982, they need a door of a A330/A340 and a mock up. Both can be found in Charleroi at the WAN (Wallonie Aerotraining Network), for the fire training there are external companies having a cabin mockup on a truck, for the wet drill, the is in Meise a swimming pool with everything, lifejackets, raft etc... No need of an airplane for those trainings.

However to get their qualification, they will need to make training flight and this will be more complicated.
Depends actually :) if they were already in posession of an EASA certificate, then a fam flight is not needed when they have recent flying experience. To not let their qualification lapse though, They will need to operate on the plane within 3 months ... that might be a bit complicated ;)

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

Call me crazy but what prevents Air Belgium to go to a company such as HiFly and say lease me an A340 so we can get the operation going... They could get HiFly to use some of their cabin crew too... but at least they would be in the air, selling tickets and bringing in revenue and making a name for themselves before everyone and their mother is flying between Belgium and China... I think it would beat continued announcements that flights are starting in 2-3 months...
HiFly could even take one of the A340s destined for Air Belgium and lease it and put it on the CS register until such time as Air Belgium has their AOC... this way the plane only needs to be painted once and you just have to put OO on it...
I also think that if Air Belgium can show 6 months of successful operation it might make getting that AOC easier... again feel free to call me crazy

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

A very good idea JP, but there is probably a traffic right problem with your solution.
An ACMI agreement with SN should work though! At the same time this solution would prove there are no “politics” involved in the delayed AOC.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

An ACMI agreement with any operator would work I guess. If they really want to fly to China, why don't they use a Chinese airline to conclude an ACMI with?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I will meet with Niky Terzakis next week at CRL and I'm sure he will give an answer to your questions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

The suggestions made here can be told to him then, would be nice to see what he thinks about these possibilities ;)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

If he hadn't already done so, well before any of us...

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Talking about the slide mock-up, I visited a facility where they have a 777 and 330 where the simulator can tilt on the lateral or on the longitudinal axis or both ...changing the attitude to simulate nlg or mlg collapse or even stuck in the mud evacs...I never saw that kind of evac simulator before...top of technology!

Stij

Post by Stij »

There should be a press conference this afternoon!!!
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/01/31 ... -verwacht/

In Dutch, but no information that was unknown to the attentive readers of our forum!

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This morning Stij. Air Belgium: new dedicated terminal at the Executive terminal. First plane mid February. First flight to HKG in March. Stewardesses with uniform present.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 10:05 This morning Stij. Air Belgium: new dedicated terminal at the Executive terminal. First plane mid February. First flight to HKG in March. Stewardesses with uniform present.
I stand corrected!
Any news on their AOC?

Cheers,

Stij

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Stij wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 10:09
I stand corrected!
Any news on their AOC?

Cheers,

Stij
If they make such announcement than they'll most likely have their AOC in hand, no startup airline would be so foolish to have a press conference to announce such things without an AOC in their pocket.

Unless it's to put pressure on the Belgian CAA but that would be a huge gamble that probably will backfire, Belgian governmental departments don't like to be publicly blackmailed or pressured.

So I reckon they have their AOC, not?