Air Belgium in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Re: Air Belgium in 2018

Post by luchtzak »

Hello Hong Kong deals with Connections (for Air Belgium)

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

ASLB is the freight airline formerly known as TNT Airways. Behind the curtains the process might be a lot more complex (read diplomatic). TNT Airways had overflight rights but also cooperated with the ATRAN group for some destinations. How all this is "interconnected" after the Fedex takeover, I have no clue...

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Vic Diesel wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 13:16In fact, CRL could even prove more attractive for Chinese tour operators who would like to see CRL as starting point for a trip through Northern France.
I'm not sure if a trip to a city that has been awarded the title of 'ugliest city in the world', and 'most depressing city in Europe' would make a good starting point for any trip. :D

The city in the Walloon, French-speaking region of southern Belgium is openly acknowledged by many of its inhabitants to be the most depressing place in Europe.

Some enterprising Carolos now offer "urban safaris" through the sheer hideousness of their city, now billed as "ugliest city in the world" by a recent opinion poll in neighbouring Holland.

"People fly in to visit Belgium on their way to Brussels or Bruges and they are shocked at the landscape of dirt, slagheaps and wasteland which looks like something from Russia," said Bert Thiry, 43, who works near the airport. "It does not make me proud to be Belgian."

Another testimonial to administrative incompetence are the many bridges and thoroughfares which stop in the middle of nowhere. They were built, and then abandoned, simply to disburse the subsidies allotted by the federal government.

The other peculiarities of the city are no less grim. The mother of surrealist painter René Magritte committed suicide here, drowning herself in the Sambre which flows through the city.

The notorious ‘house of horror’ belonging to the murderous paedophile Marc Dutroux was also here and Belgium’s first and only suicide bomber, Muriel Degauque, who in 2005 drove to Baghdad in a white Mercedes to blow herself up, was also a native of the town.
Last edited by Jetter on 05 Jun 2018, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

During my recent flight toPVG with HU I was talking to a chinese guide...He told me that it DOES make a difference to chinese tourists where they fly to because they have limited time in every city they visit , so BRU is there main goal !
gtz
paul

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

as if 30min would make a difference ;)
They aim to Paris, Amsterdam and Bruges, not Brussels (aka the 2nd ugliest city in BE).
This debate is like thinking that people landing in Treviso will spend the week in Treviso ;) c'mon ;)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Touroperators planning a group tour keep in mind that the first day of travel is finished when their scheduled arrival is at 18h15 and there will be a passport control. Last bag in the bus, last person onboard the bus means: leave airport at 20h. So all you can do after arrival, is a shuttle to the hotel.

Don't forget that those people have been in an aircraft for 12,5 hours, and that their journey started already early morning (dep was 11h40 local time). So you cannot put them on a bus to France anymore: it's gonna be eat & sleep.

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity »

@acid-drop: I can see you are not living near Brussels.It takes much more than 30 min to drive fromCRL to Brussels and yes they visit Brussels, they buy chocolats and visit the Grand Place and they go to the next country!time is money for them, so forget about CRL for most of them!
gtz
paul
PS: my HU flight was FULL of chinese tourists, most in group!

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Passenger wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:22 Touroperators planning a group tour keep in mind that the first day of travel is finished when their scheduled arrival is at 18h15 and there will be a passport control. Last bag in the bus, last person onboard the bus means: leave airport at 20h. So all you can do after arrival, is a shuttle to the hotel.

Don't forget that those people have been in an aircraft for 12,5 hours, and that their journey started already early morning (dep was 11h40 local time). So you cannot put them on a bus to France anymore: it's gonna be eat & sleep.
So what? Let them sleep at the airport hotel in CRL, especially if they head to France the next morning. I just guess that tour operators might outsmart you / us on their business: WE might just guess about their motivations - they KNOW about them. Let's see how Air Belgium will do the next six months...
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

b720

Post by b720 »

ZavCity wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 19:23 @acid-drop: I can see you are not living near Brussels.It takes much more than 30 min to drive fromCRL to Brussels and yes they visit Brussels, they buy chocolats and visit the Grand Place and they go to the next country!time is money for them, so forget about CRL for most of them!
gtz
paul
PS: my HU flight was FULL of chinese tourists, most in group!
When flying to the the other end of te world, location of the airport at destination is not really an issue. Tourist groups follow the agency that booked them the flights and hotels. They look into the whole package. I guess that for Chinese people, Americans and others from large countries a 30-45 min drive is not an issue.. it is an issue if one is flying within Europe, even then.. many tourists choose MXP as flights are cheaper than LIN and don t mind the extra distance to Milan.. business people will not.. tourists coming from China are not going to fuss about the location of the airport in BRussels. Even Belgian tourists visiting Hong Kong as part of s group with a travel agency when all is included, they would go to Charleroi without a problem..

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

This morning at Brussels South Charleroi Airport, getting ready for its inaugural flight, as the one on Sunday was a technical flight.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Air Belgium celebrates inaugural flight from Brussels South Charleroi Airport to Hong Kong

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-b ... hong-kong/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

There goes OO-ABB for her inaugural yet second flight to Hong Kong.
675EE09B-CFE5-474D-B5DC-B934A45EC15D.jpeg

Shonix

Post by Shonix »

I'm quite surprised about the media coverage...

I mean as headline news, Air Belgium is not mentioned. I understand there are more relevant news but still, we have to look carefully to see an article about it on several news' websites.

SR20

Post by SR20 »

Shonix wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:37 I'm quite surprised about the media coverage...

I mean as headline news, Air Belgium is not mentioned. I understand there are more relevant news but still, we have to look carefully to see an article about it on several news' websites.
Was covered by RTBF in the midday TV news !

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Turns out that weekend's flight criticized by some "experts" as "total failure" for having only 15 pax on board was a mere technical flight - and NOT the inaugural one. Well well... so much for the term "expert"... :lol:
Best regards,
Viktor

Shonix

Post by Shonix »

SR20 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:09
Shonix wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:37 I'm quite surprised about the media coverage...

Was covered by RTBF in the midday TV news !
Well, let's hope to also see the report on the evening news. Moreover, TV is not the only media channel.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Vic Diesel wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:09 Turns out that weekend's flight criticized by some "experts" as "total failure" for having only 15 pax on board was a mere technical flight - and NOT the inaugural one. Well well... so much for the term "expert"... :lol:
The "test flight" on 3th June was open for bookings for several weeks, but only 15 passengers had booked. Even at 349 Euro (with Connections). Air Belgium also announced for weeks as "we start flying on 3th June", and not "we operate one technical flight on 3th June and we start flying on 6th June".

We use to call such "een leugen voor bestwil". Just like they now announce "Sold out" for the flights that they cancelled.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Passenger wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:22
Vic Diesel wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:09 Turns out that weekend's flight criticized by some "experts" as "total failure" for having only 15 pax on board was a mere technical flight - and NOT the inaugural one. Well well... so much for the term "expert"... :lol:
The "test flight" on 3th June was open for bookings for several weeks, but only 15 passengers had booked. Even at 349 Euro (with Connections). Air Belgium also announced for weeks as "we start flying on 3th June", and not "we operate one technical flight on 3th June and we start flying on 6th June".

We use to call such "een leugen voor bestwil". Just like they now announce "Sold out" for the flights that they cancelled.
"een leugen voor bestwil" - even without speaking Flemish, I could understand THAT one. ;)
Best regards,
Viktor

simnam

Post by simnam »

Any idea of the number of pax on today's flight ?

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

As Andre was on board, so at least 1. ;)
Best regards,
Viktor