A321LR will/should it change everything ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Acid-drop

A321LR will/should it change everything ?

Post by Acid-drop »

When reading this article, you start thinking we nothing blocks Ryanair and other low cost from using it from transatlantic flights ... transforming the regular airlines and their expensive double aisle into history ?
Likely to happen ? I know Norwegian is betting on it
What are the obstacles ?
Is it likely to come quickly and very massively ? The first has all the chances to take this enormous market.

https://www.aviation24.be/manufacturers/ ... -airlines/
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Re: A321LR will/should it change everything ?

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

We need facts and figures about the payload of this aircraft. If you can't take 2 tons of cargo with you on a transatlantic flight, I think you're busted all the way there.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 17:27 We need facts and figures about the payload of this aircraft. If you can't take 2 tons of cargo with you on a transatlantic flight, I think you're busted all the way there.
I do agree with you that cargo capacity is a relevant fact but on some route, mainly leisure one, this is not needed. A321LR would be perfect for flight to Monbasa, Zanzibare, Banjul, Dakar, etc... Actually I think TUIfly Belgium should have a look at it (but they surely already did)

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

crew1990 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 18:46
HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 17:27 We need facts and figures about the payload of this aircraft. If you can't take 2 tons of cargo with you on a transatlantic flight, I think you're busted all the way there.
I do agree with you that cargo capacity is a relevant fact but on some route, mainly leisure one, this is not needed. A321LR would be perfect for flight to Monbasa, Zanzibare, Banjul, Dakar, etc... Actually I think TUIfly Belgium should have a look at it (but they surely already did)
That's correct indeed, but we were talking about transatlantic routes. Given the fact that competition is very high and in generally yields are quite low, I doubt these routes can be profitable with few cargo in the belly.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Perhaps a bit off topic, but since you are speaking of long flight on a A320(321), i saw yesterday in Paris a A320 from Gulf Air. So that thing is flying all the way to Bahrein?? Must be very uncomfortable.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

For pax those planes are very bad news for sure...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

saratoga wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 10:29 Perhaps a bit off topic, but since you are speaking of long flight on a A320(321), i saw yesterday in Paris a A320 from Gulf Air. So that thing is flying all the way to Bahrein?? Must be very uncomfortable.
Why? GF A320 has 112 seats. (SN has 174)
I prefer A320 above B788.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

MEA's A320 fleet features real 2 x 2 business seats and AVOD in every seat plus a decent pitch in economy.

I wouldn't find it problematic to fly that for 7-8h iso 4-5h if the service level is good.

Now a Ryanair A321LR with 240 seats, no thanks!

travellover

Post by travellover »

About profitability, beside the size of the aircraft and the cargo demand on different markets (NA vs Africa for instance), what makes the difference of operational costs between the A321LR and the A330 / 200-300 ?
Cheers

convair

Post by convair »

Good idea to open a specific topic.

Maybe the future of that plane is in the "short" transatlantic routes to secondary airports near medium-size business centers.
Norwegian, with their flights from Dublin, might be on the right track there if they provide a good business class also: business pax want non-stop flights as close as possible to their business destination and leisure pax want attractive prices.

Maybe they can skip the cargo part, except for the luggage. Any idea of the economics of such flights?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

quixoticguide wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:21 GF A320 has 112 seats. (SN has 174)
Even worse: SN (like all the LH Group A320s) has 180 seats !!!
André
ex Sabena #26567

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Acid-drop wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:01 For pax those planes are very bad news for sure...
And what about for the crew, it's already horrible to fly on a A320MAX with this ridiculous tiny galley with pax on the way all the time because the 2 toilet are in the galley, so i can't imagine on a A321 during 8 hours and with 1 extra CCM.

travellover

Post by travellover »

Does it make a real difference between the A321LR and the 757-200/300 ?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Icela ... 57-200.php
Cheers

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

Widebody twin development allowed increased payload on long routes, now narrowbody twins allow increased range. The widebody fleets of many "long haul" companies based on that first development (especially in the Middle East) are now considered "too big" for many of the destinations they connect. On the other hand, a company like Skydubai, using narrowbodies, is limited in range and needs more range to become bigger.

It's only an evolution of capabilities and this is only a demonstration of these capabilities of modern narrowbodies.
The 757 has become an old bird. This has fairly little to do with transatlantic flights, but the idea creates the attention.