Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn-remember

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by sn-remember »

Deejay wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:32 With smaller planes getting longer and longer ranges, the HUB strategy will no longer be the main business model, but direct flights from point to point, will.
Not sure. While I expect some more "stand-alone" routes to emerge (the A321LR might contribute to that), I also think the present day hubs will continue to grow, Secundary hubs also (VIE, BRU ?) even some new ones might develop because of saturation. DUS, GVA and BER might be among those .. BRU could pretend to catch the big neighbours up provided the right strategy is put in place; Doesn't look to be the case thus far ..
I still do not understand why Belgium (11 Million and EU Capital) cannot have a premium flag carrier
and Austria, and Switzerland, with each 8 Million inhabitants can....
Because they invested intelligently. Banks and management. SN was weak on bank support and management skill. Always has been.
In Belgium, politics are never far away, and any "national" symbol is seen as something dated from "la belgique à papa"...
don't you agree ?
Yup

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn-remember wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:18
Deejay wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:32 With smaller planes getting longer and longer ranges, the HUB strategy will no longer be the main business model, but direct flights from point to point, will.
Not sure. While I expect some more "stand-alone" routes to emerge (the A321LR might contribute to that), I also think the present day hubs will continue to grow, Secundary hubs also (VIE, BRU ?) even some new ones might develop because of saturation. DUS, GVA and BER might be among those .. BRU could pretend to catch the big neighbours up provided the right strategy is put in place; Doesn't look to be the case thus far ..
I still do not understand why Belgium (11 Million and EU Capital) cannot have a premium flag carrier
and Austria, and Switzerland, with each 8 Million inhabitants can....
Because they invested intelligently. Banks and management. SN was weak on bank support and management skill. Always has been.
In Belgium, politics are never far away, and any "national" symbol is seen as something dated from "la belgique à papa"...
don't you agree ?
Yup
I'm agree whit you here.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

Just read the Spohr interview and have to put in my 2 cents, sorry :)

First off he comes of as an asshole... Anyone in Belgium reading this should never spend another dime in his group! Anyone working at SN should probably look for work elsewhere soon!

Spohr is giving SN no tools to expand/grow... He's giving the staff bullshit and no reason to work hard to make the airline profit... and his theory of you make money you grow is the biggest lie/joke.... he's sinking millions and millions into Eurowings and there is absolutely no guarantee the airline will succeed... in fact the way its being put together it has a good chance of failing!

On the other hand if he were a smart guy and invested into LH, LX, OS, SN and made these 4 airlines work well together he could really build a European empire... and if he for one minute thinks that LH is a 5 Star airline then he has something coming... I say fly one way in Business Class on LH and one way on Qatar and you will see what a 5 star airline is.

I'm so disgusted I don't even want to continue however I will end with the best joke...
On the Name of Brussels Airlines he says that decision rests with the CEO Christina Foerster...

Off course the real responsible here is the idiot(s) who agreed to this deal with LH... People who have learned absolutely nothing from the SN-SR deal and the destruction of a great airline for no reason.... and now exactly the same again... Morons!

Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Integration of his european group... should be the main priority, totally right on this one.

I did a small experiment. Let's imagine that I am a diplomat or a business man, and I need to do a triangle BRU-GVA-VIE-BRU ...

tried to book this on the LH and SN websites.

First, no SN flights on the LH website proposed !! but OS and LX are available, so no direct flights BRU-GVA, while SN and LX codeshare on this direct route...

If I try this on SN, for the GVA-VIE leg, one needs to go over BRU, while OS has a direct connection...

stupid.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

while when looking on EW they offer you SN flights for a wide range of destinations, Spohr made it clear SN is in the EW segment and not in the OS/LX/LH part

Citybird
The flying dream

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

b.lufthansa wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:14 Flying more passengers than ever, most of the staff and crew working their butt off. Restructuring, cutting costs, race to the bottom, etc.. hardly any profit.

And now a nice negative article by the big boss.

This must be very frustrating for staff and crew.
Lufthansa's image is damaged.
At SN, in Belgium and abroad.
Because of the CEO Herr Spohr's irresponsible and scornful message he gave to SN's board and people.
I doubt the workforce at SN is happy.
I doubt the Belgian public is happy.
I doubt the workforce at, say LOT or Alitalia, are looking forward to a LH takeover.
I doubt the international actors in the airline sector will want to partner/collaborate with Lufthansa if given the choice.
It's a disaster to everybody. It's Middle-East practice.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

sn-remember wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:59
b.lufthansa wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:14 Flying more passengers than ever, most of the staff and crew working their butt off. Restructuring, cutting costs, race to the bottom, etc.. hardly any profit.

And now a nice negative article by the big boss.

This must be very frustrating for staff and crew.
Lufthansa's image is damaged.
Because of the CEO Herr Spohr's irresponsible and scornful message he gave to SN's board and people.
I doubt the workforce at SN is happy.
I doubt the Belgian public is happy.
I doubt the workforce at, say LOT or Alitalia, are looking forward to a LH takeover.
I doubt the international actors in the airline sector will want to partner/collaborate with Lufthansa if given the choice.
It's a disaster to everybody. It's Middle-East practice.
Exactly, I wish him good luck in finding people who want to work for such a 'CEO'
Citybird
The flying dream

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn-remember wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:59 Lufthansa's image is damaged.
If you read what / listen to what Carsten Spohr really has said, there is no damage to Lufthansa's image at all in Belgium and/or abroad. And it even makes sense that Carsten Spohr isn't eager to invest in Brussels Airlines now: "it's company policy not to invest when the long term ROI prospect (return on investment) is too risky".

The only "damage to Lufthansa" is limited to pilots and the trade unions who have organized a two-day strike. And to those who think that the strike was justified. Which it was not.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn-remember wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:59Lufthansa's image is damaged.
Do you really think people in Belgium or even abroad give anything about Spohr's message to SN's people, let alone SN's board? That's delusional. All people that care have a special interest in aviation, which is only a tiny fraction of the general public.
It's a disaster to everybody.
The disaster that made this scenario inevitable happened a long time ago: the demise of Sabena due to incompetent management and selfish staff. In the European aviation sector there isn't a way to recover from that with a truly national large flag-carrier. You can't really blame that on LH.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Boavida wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:02 Spohr clearly has 0 respect for Belgium.

He says Brussels Airlines is 'unknown' in Scandinavia or Madrid. That could be better indeed but isn't the most important thing to be well known in your own home market!??

I said it before and I will say it again: what is the point of having another generic, low cost carrier with NO identity in Brussels, besides FR, U2, VY...? Why should I fly Eurowings instead of Ryanair, knowing EW has killed our national carrier? I say full boycot. I will do everything I can to avoid EW.
CS is like a panzer. And yes I'll refuse to fly LH or EW...never. German smile = zero ! I do not want to transfer to MUC or FRA. I and I asked to transfer the flighs to come ...to KL or maybe AF...( hoping the strikes will end ). Just back from HAV where I' arrived the day of the cuban crash...terrible ! Good AF service !

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 14:19 And to those who think that the strike was justified. Which it was not.
Says who?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Let's not go there again. That argument has run its course multiple times.
Thomas

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

KriVa wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 14:18 Let's not go there again. That argument has run its course multiple times.
Then the comment should be removed. It would have been different if it said:I think the strike was not justified, meaning a personal opinion. “The strike was not justified”is a blanket statement and should be then backed up with proof that it wasn’t. So far I haven’t seen any, on the contrary.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I'll say it again, the argument has run its course, period.
Even with a poor choice of words, we won't start censoring posts just for the fun of it. Within the context, it's very clear that particular statement reflects a personal opinion, and not a fact.
If you'd like to delve deeper into that discussion, feel free to PM me, it has no place in this thread.
Thomas

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

I think this interview with CS, which is really short, is not anti-Belgian as it was alluded to here. He is just clear about certain things like investments in SN planes but then again LH is also pretty clear about Austrian on the same matter (not in the same interview). Does that mean he is also disrespectful of Austrians? He links investments to current levels of profitability. He is just pushing his Eurowings project so he has to find a justification. Low profits and strikes are obviously helpful here for him to push his agenda never mind that LH is like AF very prone to strikes or that you can also look at it from an other angle like growth potential of SN which is still clearly there but for that you need to invest upfront, etc It seems rather clear by now that big parts of both SN and OS will slowly transform in Eurowings. We may not like it and I am one of them but the LH shareholders call the shots. Also, if one of your subsidiaries, i.e. Swiss contributes around half of the profit if I read well, it is no surprise that it is easier to invest in that subsidiary.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Returned from 3 weeks abroad. Has an agreement finally been reached with the unions and SN management? I did not find any trace of a future strike. And is it confirmed that at the end of June we will know what LH will do with SN?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I can't remember reading/hearing anything about an agreement. I do vaguely remember a single mention of a new set of strike-days, though. I can't remember which dates would have been suggested.
Thomas

Aerofool

Post by Aerofool »

They're still talking and there is soms progress. The unions will evaluate next week.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

If the name changes, I guess all the 'SN' flightnumbers will change to 'EW' ? :cry:

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

With all respect Ansett, but you start to sound like a broken record.
LH saved BruAir from bankruptcy!! The whole EW integration is about cost cutting, in order to keep a base in BRU viable, nothing else. LH is not killing BruAir at all, the name will go, but employment will stay, probably on lower T&Cs though.
Besides that, passengers don’t care about the colour of the aircraft, the care about the price.
A couple of frustrated aviation enthusiasts won’t change LH’s plans. You may not like it but it is what it is and you will have to live with it.
Last edited by Poiu on 09 Jun 2018, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.