Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2018

Post by sn26567 »

Speaking of France (which is taking over from Italy as the most strike-prone country): AF strike is foreseen for four days from 23 to 26 June inclusive!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Another political strike in Belgium: customs at Brussels Airport, on Wednesday 13th June 2018, harrassment action:
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/st ... ~a0f3a7b1/

Why only at Brussels Airport? The trade unions say they protest against "federal conditions in general"? But those probems are landwide, thus why no protest at all Belgian airports?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 17:30 Another political strike in Belgium: customs at Brussels Airport, on Wednesday 13th June 2018, harrassment action:

Why only at Brussels Airport? The trade unions say they protest against "federal conditions in general"? But those probems are landwide, thus why no protest at all Belgian airports?
I don't think that they have a lot of not Schengen flights in CRL so no much work for customs and nothing in other airports in Belgium ;)
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:38
Passenger wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 17:30 Another political strike in Belgium: customs at Brussels Airport, on Wednesday 13th June 2018, harrassment action:

I don't think that they have a lot of not Schengen flights in CRL so no much work for customs and nothing in other airports in Belgium ;)
They want to harrass people by creating a long queue. Therefore they will control every passenger, Shengen or not. Passengers through "green" will also be stopped and checked: maybe they have narcotics in their tooth paste.

There are enough flights incoming into CRL on Wednesday to create chaos there.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:53
lumumba wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:38

They want to harrass people by creating a long queue. Therefore they will control every passenger, Shengen or not. Passengers through "green" will also be stopped and checked: maybe they have narcotics in their tooth paste.

There are enough flights incoming into CRL on Wednesday to create chaos there.
It's only in Brussels where the customs are mixed none and Schengen flights in CRL it's apart I think but not sure.
But if I remember well you don't have customs for Schengen flights in CRL!

In my experience it's only LIS and BRU where it's mixed but maybe there are other airports in the EU.
But not FRA,CDG,AMS,MAD etc....

They have no right to check Schengen flights normally....if you can proof you are not coming from outside the EU!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:57 It's only in Brussels where the customs are mixed none and Schengen flights in CRL it's apart I think but not sure. But if I remember well you don't have customs for Schengen flights in CRL! In my experience it's only LIS and BRU where it's mixed but maybe there are other airports in the EU. They have no right to check Schengen flights normally....if you can proof you are not coming from outside the EU!
You still don't get it. When the trade unions go on a walkabout, they don't care about law or rules. Let alone about respect towards passengers. Their members will stop and check all passengers, no matter from where they come. No matter what the rules are. Because actually, that rule is nothing more then a basic principle which can be... overruled by them at any time at any moment.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 00:12
lumumba wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:57 It's only in Brussels where the customs are mixed none and Schengen flights in CRL it's apart I think but not sure. But if I remember well you don't have customs for Schengen flights in CRL! In my experience it's only LIS and BRU where it's mixed but maybe there are other airports in the EU. They have no right to check Schengen flights normally....if you can proof you are not coming from outside the EU!
You still don't get it. When the trade unions go on a walkabout, they don't care about law or rules. Let alone about respect towards passengers. Their members will stop and check all passengers, no matter from where they come. No matter what the rules are. Because actually, that rule is nothing more then a basic principle which can be... overruled by them at any time at any moment.
I understand your point but it's only in Brussels where they can really make a mess in CRL they have 8 flights and it's not mixed like in Brussels so it's only worthwhile to strike in Brussels to answer your first post....

Even if they check everybody from the 8 flights it will not create chaos in Charleroi.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Apologies from Brussels Airport: "A work to rule action initiated by the Belgian customs may cause longer waiting times for arriving passengers. We regret this action and apologize for any inconvenience."
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Their members will stop and check all passengers
Perhaps it is useful to point out a matter of confusion: one should realise the difference between customs and immigration control.

Customs is about goods, and checking the flow of goods. Customs officers work for the ministry (nah, the FOD/SPF) of Finance, and search for illegal stuff like drugs, weapons, counterfeits. They also check trucks for "red" diesel fuel, sometimes. They can operate on all border transfers, including intra-Schengen, though at some they will not operate routinely or permanently.

Immigration control OTO)H checks the flow of people, and depend (in most countries) from the ministry of interior affairs. They check for criminals, illegal immigrants. They are entitled to request one to offer proof of identity.

For one example, when I drive my famous white van into Switzerland in Basel or so, I am again and again checked by customs staff, who usually take a brief peek around and then withdraw in dismay :) - but never do these nice people ask for my identity card. Switzerland is indeed a Schengen member, so normally they do NOT check individuals; but they do check for commercial/illegal goods traffic; even hoping to lure one into paying import duty.

The one factor of confusion is that very often, both checks are performed by the same people, belonging either to one service or to the other. That is of course much more convenient. at places with little traffic where one still wants both checks.

But in this case I think things are clear: customs staff at BRU (and also at LGG, as I hear on the radio news) are _not_ checking people - not their domain! - they are checking luggage. It would seem they keep closer to law and order than suggested above.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 18:07
Their members will stop and check all passengers
Perhaps it is useful to point out a matter of confusion: one should realise the difference between customs and immigration control.
Stop the nitpicking please. Of course with "checking all passengers" I mean "checking the luggage from all passengers, no matter what destination they come from - Schengen or not".

But If I would have written that, maybe some would have reacted "...it's not only the luggage, but also their handbags and other the personal belongings".

jan_olieslagers

Sorry, @Passenger, I really didn't want to upset you. And please be assured: I totally agree with your basic dislike of this and other actions that only hurt the image of our country and its airports. We really shouldn't want to come across like a banana republic, and that is what is happening, and has been happening for a good while already.

Still, the distinction is important, and it already confuses many. Customs is customs and immigration is immigration. I agree that "checking luggage" is not generic enough - perhaps "checking the personal effects (luggage, handbags, ...)" would do better. I think customs officers can even perform body searches, as they do when checking for drugs? Or perhaps they need to involve police assistance, I don't know.

The key point is that the strict "customs" function does not check identity, i.o.w. can not routinely request proof of identity through showing a passport or such.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What 'strikes' me when I see those customs officers 'working' at Brussels Airport is that most of the time they do nothing else than chat among themselves. Why then are they asking for more personnel? Not enough of them for a table of gin rummy?
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 19:02 Sorry, @Passenger, I really didn't want to upset you. And please be assured: I totally agree with your basic dislike of this and other actions that only hurt the image of our country and its airports. We really shouldn't want to come across like a banana republic, and that is what is happening, and has been happening for a good while already.

Still, the distinction is important, and it already confuses many. Customs is customs and immigration is immigration. I agree that "checking luggage" is not generic enough - perhaps "checking the personal effects (luggage, handbags, ...)" would do better. I think customs officers can even perform body searches, as they do when checking for drugs? Or perhaps they need to involve police assistance, I don't know.

The key point is that the strict "customs" function does not check identity, i.o.w. can not routinely request proof of identity through showing a passport or such.
That you are check in Switzerland for goods but not identify it's because Switzerland is member of the Schengen zone but out of the EU customs union....that's it!

Belgium is in both so when you drive or fly from Belgium to France for example you have no check at all not immigration nor customs....

They can always check randomly in trains or airport but it has to be an exception like after the terrorist attack for example and for sure can be abused on a strike day.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air France unions have called off strikes planned for 23-26 June 2018.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Controllers in the Marseille air traffic control center will strike from 0430UTC on Saturday 23 June until 0430UTC on Monday 25 June. Many flights that would normally transit the air traffic control center will reroute.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 22:42 Controllers in the Marseille air traffic control center will strike from 0430UTC on Saturday 23 June until 0430UTC on Monday 25 June. Many flights that would normally transit the air traffic control center will reroute.
As Willie Walsh and Michael O'Leary explained this week at the A4E press conference, a strike in the Marseille ATC centre affects 50% of the flights with origin or destination Barcelona. Therefore they have decided to sue France before the European Commission for hindering the free movement of persons.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

For those wondering if trains to BRU Airport will be running: NMBS/SNCB created a special timetable for Friday next, June 29th. http://www.belgianrail.be/~/media/A2C58 ... 3B609F.pdf

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Irish-based Ryanair pilots have voted to strike on 12 July.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If it isn't France, it's Italy:

Italian ATC strike is set for 20 July, and a separate strike is set for 21 July 2018, affecting Air Italy, Blue Panorama and Reggio Calabria Airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Portugalia cabin crew plan to strike from 11 to 16 July 2018. Don't they operate some flights to Brussels for TAP?
André
ex Sabena #26567