Belgian F-16 pilot blinded by laserpen at Kleine Brogel 17 apr 2018...

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

stratofreighter

Belgian F-16 pilot blinded by laserpen at Kleine Brogel 17 apr 2018...

Post by stratofreighter »

...what a tw@t... :evil:

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1933655 ... 0-jaar-cel
A F16 pilot from the military base in Kleine Brogel in Belgium
was blinded by the rays of a laser pen on Tuesday evening.

A man from the town of Peer is suspected of having blindly dazzled the pilot.

Eric Cenens, Commissioner of the Kempenland region,
tells that such facts are more likely to occur:
"The perpetrators apparently do not realize what punishments they risk.

If the suspect is found guilty of Peer, he may face a prison sentence of up to 20 years.

When injuries are caused to the victims, that penalty can be up to 30 years. "

October 18, 2017, a 22-year-old man from Berlin
received a prison sentence of 1.5 years after he shone on a helicopter pilot for 55 seconds.
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/f1 ... ~a7d418e0/
/
http://www.hbvl.be/cnt/dmf20180418_0346 ... r-laserpen
/
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180418_03469516

Acid-drop

Re: Belgian F-16 pilot blinded by laserpen at Kleine Brogel 17 apr 2018...

Post by Acid-drop »

on the other hand, if it only takes a laser pen to paralyze our airforce, we have an issue...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The man appeared in court today: he had bought a second hand telescope for observation of stars, and he was upset by low flying jets, hampering his hobby. So he searched a bit on the www, and he bought a laserpen from an online shop in China. The public prosecutor confirmed it was not a strong laser. Verdict 26th June.

https://www.hln.be/in-de-buurt/hechtel- ... ~ac7b570f/

And that's the good thing about this court case: a press report with "the prosecutor demands one year in prison". Owners with a laser pen who read this, will think twice now.

And André: his lawyer said "het is gewoon een oude man die naar de sterren wou kijken". An old man... at 65?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Owners with a laser pen who read this, will think twice now.
I regret I cannot agree: anybody inclined to think twice (or "beyond the length of her/his nose", as we say here) will be aware of the dangers, and of the law. There will however always be fools who only think about themselves, and/or are too stupid/lazy to study law. Remember the chap who "just to amuse himself" shone his laser pen at the police helicopter landing at EBMB Melsbroek 25R - only to be chased home by the same helicopter? I wonder what came of that!

So yes, the judge cannot be too hard for this kind of people.

And, on a side note, if we are all to work till age 67, a person of 65 cannot be called "an old man" indeed. Who said these judges are out of touch with reality?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Not a strong laser
A strong flashlight
Where is the limit ?
There is no chance you can put someone in prison for that
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 28 May 2019, 17:30
Owners with a laser pen who read this, will think twice now.
I regret I cannot agree: anybody inclined to think twice (or "beyond the length of her/his nose", as we say here) will be aware of the dangers, and of the law. There will however always be fools who only think about themselves, and/or are too stupid/lazy to study law. Remember the chap who "just to amuse himself" shone his laser pen at the police helicopter landing at EBMB Melsbroek 25R - only to be chased home by the same helicopter? I wonder what came of that! So yes, the judge cannot be too hard for this kind of people.
As usual: you manipulate quotes by deleting the name of the poster, so it's a small step for you to delete also relevant parts of the quote.

I did not wrote "Owners with a laser pen who read this, will think twice now". I wrote: And that's the good thing about this court case: a press report with "the prosecutor demands one year in prison". Owners with a laser pen who read this, will think twice now.

So I repeat: a news article with headline "laserpen... one year in prison" will convince owners of a laserpen it's time to stop using it.

Title: "...Ekselaar (65) vindt dat vliegtuigen te veel lawaai maken en te laag vliegen, koopt telescoop en laserpen en verblindt F16-piloot: jaar cel gevraagd..."

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Sorry, no harm was meant, I tried to only cite the relevant part. And yes, I systematically avoid naming the citation's author, wanting to play the ball, not the player.

Excuse me for standing my ground: even if the demand for an effective prison sentence is granted (as seems little likely, right indeed @Acid-drop!) it will not change much for the future. Wise people may take a warning from it, but wise people do not need any warnings. Fools will always be fools, and there will always be fools.