Flight routes into Brussels airport

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

EwoutKillemaes

Flight routes into Brussels airport

Post by EwoutKillemaes »

Dear all,

In the past two weeks people in my neighbourhood told me that they experienced a lot more low-flying approaching traffic for EBBR overhead the region of Geraardsbergen. They asked me if there was a chance in flight routes to the airport that sends more aircraft overhead their houses.

The only explanation I can think of is that in these past weeks the winds are different than usual and therefore the runways 07L and 07R are used more regularly instead of 25L and 25R. I think this is confimed by flightradar24 just now (see screenshot).

Do you think this is a possible explanation, and if so, are the winds at the moment coming from an unusual direction?

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Untitled.png

KriVa

Re: Flight routes into Brussels airport

Post by KriVa »

Yes, this is the second time in quite a short time that we’ve been using a combination of runways 01 and 07L/07R for a prolonged period of time.
As you correctly thought, it’s due to the wind we’ve been having. Just like last time, a rather large high pressure area has formed overhead Scandinavia, pushing cold air from the East to our regions with an Easterly - Northeasterly wind.
Not exactly common for this time of year.
Thomas

Stij

Post by Stij »

And approaches into 07R and 07L are so beautiful: a nice view on our nation's capital! If it weren't so cold: I would hope for Eastern winds...

I posted this before but for new members:

Stij

EwoutKillemaes

Post by EwoutKillemaes »

KriVa wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 21:55 Yes, this is the second time in quite a short time that we’ve been using a combination of runways 01 and 07L/07R for a prolonged period of time.
As you correctly thought, it’s due to the wind we’ve been having. Just like last time, a rather large high pressure area has formed overhead Scandinavia, pushing cold air from the East to our regions with an Easterly - Northeasterly wind.
Not exactly common for this time of year.
Thank you for your reply! It was bugging me these past days 😋

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Indeed, aircraft leaving from and arriving at BRU are using RWYs 01, 07L and 07R again, as was the case few weeks ago.

As a matter of fact, I was on flight FI554 KEF-BRU yesterday, and it was the very first time I landed on RWY 07L. Quite a nice experience, and a lovely view of Brussels as I was seated on the right hand side of the aircraft (even though the visibility was not perfect).

2018 03 18 - FI554.jpg

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr